Anna Jonsson is studyting to become a specialist nurse in the intensive care at Luleå University of Technology. She had a summer job as a nurse in the intensive care and it was from there she got her interest in working in working as a intensive care nurse.
- As intensive care nurse you can focus on a few patients receiving all the attention. It happens very urgent things while there is also time for nursing.
Anna was sick of jumping around at different hostpitals and felt she needed training to advance. She longed to be working as a intensive care nurse and applyed to distance education at LTU, focusing on intensive university.
-It suits me perfectly because I live in Karlskrona and go home to Skellefteå at Christmas and summer to visit family. The weeks on LTU often coincide while I am going home.
Distance requires extra discipline
Anna thinks it's much harder to study at a distance because it requires extra discipline. But she has solved the problem by going to the local university to study.
- Should I stay at home, nothing would be done. The training requires great self discipline and that you must have if you study on this level. Many are working simultaneously, but I would not cope. I need to focus on this.
During the program, three practical training periods are made. She has been on Thiva, thoracic intensive care, and even general intensive care, both of which were very instructive and interesting. Now she is just on her way to the final workbased trainingt in the neonatal intensive care unit at Astrid Lindgren Children's Hospital for premature infants.
- It will be incredibly exciting. The program makes me feel well prepared and has given me good basic skills, but then there is always new things to learn.
Lives in a camping cabin
During each semester are held three to four training sessions, LTU where she meets her classmates. They have had a good relationship and she lives with three other girls in a camping cabin.
- It is great fun, but it is a lot to take in during one week. I think the whole program is very good with interesting lectures and skilled speakers.
In addition to Bangkok
This fall she goes off to Bangkok to continue her education further. She'll go for one semester and stydy the pediatric intensive care from an intercultural perspective.
- It will be really instructive to obtain this knowledge. It complements the education and experiences I already have very well, says Anna Jonsson.