Katarina Sellius had worked for 20 years as a journalist and editor and felt that she wanted to work with something completely different. Via a blog she found the Radiology Education at Luleå University of Technology.
It was at the Central Hospital in Karlstad radiology blog that Katarina found training for radiology nurse at LTU. Since she was planning to get an education in health care, she saw an opportunity to study and acquire another profession.
- As a parent of a teenager, I have more time, but did not want to move to study. Since radiographer at LTU is a distance programme it solved my problems.
Flexible way to study
The distance learning allow her to work part time and do not need to take any loans. She can independently plan when she wants to read or listen to recorded lectures.
- It's a very flexible way to study, but the course requires 40 hours of studying per week. This requires that you are disciplined to avoid getting behind.
The contact with teachers and fellow students are held online, together with updated information and study data. Also social media is a great help to stay in touch with fellow students.
- We have a facebook group where we help each other and discussing study assignments.
Study intensive weeks
Each semester have a few week that are held at LTU and these weeks thinks Katarina is very valuable.
- Then you get to meet teachers and classmates in person, and it is extremely important. It's very intensive weeks of study, but is necessary to have discussions and dialogs. Over the internet it can be a bit impersonal.
During the weeks at LTU many of the students stay together at Sunderby college. Studying and group work continues during the evenings in a relaxed envirnment.
The program has a lot of practice and Katarina feels that the program is very current and has a good anchoring in the workplace.
- I see a positive future. All over the country there is a lack of Radiographers and I believe I will get a job when I graduate.
Name: Katarina Sellius
Age: 48 years
Hometown: Hammarö, Karlstad
Education: Radiographers, year 3
3 quick questions:
Snow or rain: SNOW
Water or Wine: WINE
Bus or car: BUS