The microscope is a Magellan 400 from the FEI company. It is equipped with 5 detectors:
- ETD: Everhart-Thornley detector
- TLD: through-lens detector (in-lens)
- vCD: low voltage high contrast detector
- STEM: detector for scanning transmission electron microscopy
- EDS: detector for energy dispersive spectroscopy. The instrument is equipped with X-Max 80 Silicon Drift Detector.
- Schottky emitter
- Sub-nanometer resolution from 1 to 30kV
- Beam decceleration
- Beam current down to 0.8 pA
Thanks to these properties the Magellan is the instrument of choice for high resolution on non-conductive samples.