You will gain basic understanding of contact and non-contacting metrology technologies in 2D and 3D (mechanical and optical 2D- as well as 3D profilers), with main focus on characterisation of surface texture including geometrical form, waviness, roughness and imperfections.
When you have finished the course you will be able to:
- understand the workflow needed in order to design the “optimal” process route towards measurements and documentation of tribology testing
- understand fundamentals of 2D and 3D characterisation concerning pre-processing, filtration, segmentation and parameterisation of engineering surfaces.
- understand limitations and possibilities with the current metrology framework (hardware and software) in conjunction with practical applications in tribology.
- be able to use the surface topography characterisation in your own research.
- be familiar with current research in the field.