Institutionen för teknikvetenskap och matematik
I work as professor in mathematics at Luleå University of Technology. I am also professor emiritus in mathematics at Uppsala university, parttime professor at Narvik University College, Norway, and honorary professor at Eurasian National University, Astana, Kazakhstan. I have been supervisor for 49 students with PhD exams and 12 with Licentiate exams. At the moment I am supervisor for four PhD students in mathematics at Luleå University of Technology and two PhD students in mathematics at Eurasian National University in Astana. Moreover, I am co-supervisor for one PhD student at Uppsala University, one at Mid-Sweden University, one at Karlstad University and one at Agder University, Norway. The areas of research for my students and current positions can be found in the file PhD education. Moreover, I was the President of the Swedish Mathematical Society 1996-1998 and I have been ordinary member 1995-2010 (secretary during 1995-2002) of the National Committee of Mathematics equipped with the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. Moreover, I initiated Centre of Applied Mathematics at Luleå University of Technology 1995 and was its Director till 2005. During 2008-2009 I was director of Center of Interdisciplinar Mathematics (CIM) at Uppsala University.
If you want to know more about me and my scientific work you can look at my abbreviated CV and my list of publications. See also the list of my coauthors (at the moment more than 150 persons from 40 different countries!).
Some special actual information:
* I am very interested in skiing and I have participated and finished the Swedish crosscountry skiing competition "Vasaloppet" (90 km.) at 39 different occasions. Moreover, I have also participated "öppet spår" (90 km) the week before 15 times. In fact, I have participated both "öppet spår"sunday and monday and the ordinary "Vasaloppet" the next sunday at five occasions. It seems as I am the first in my age who has done that. My best time in Vasaloppet is 4.56 from 1983.
* On request of the national Committee of Mathematics I have done a special evaluation concerning applications (and outcome) in mathematical sciences at the Swedish Natural Science Council. (see related document below)
* I have got a personal award 2008 (Ångpanneföreningens research foundation) of 100 000 SEK. (more information)
* Materialet "Vacker och spännande matematik för barn och vuxna" finns nu fritt tillgängligt på världsvida väven, se länk nedan.
* At the moment I am chairman of the board NT-R (Mathematics and Technical Mathematics) at the Swedish Research Council which is a government agency that distributes the funding for basic research of the highest quality in Sweden.
The course "A Basic Course in Applied Mathematics" has been developed as a webcourse in applied mathematics mainly for Ph.D. students in other subjects than mathematics, teachers in the Swedish gymnasium and engineers in the industry. The course is mainly based on the following course book: J. D. Logan, 1987. Applied Mathematics: A Contemporary Approach, John
Wiley & Sons, New York.
Publikation: Forskning - peer-review›Kapitel i bok
Publikation: Forskning - peer-review›Antologi
Publikation: Forskning - peer-review›Tidskriftsartikel