Northvolt is now building Europe's first domestic gig factory for the production and recycling of lithium-ion batteries in Skellefteå. The first part of Northvolt's factory is expected to start production in 2021 and it is planned to start recycling batteries in 2022. When the first part is completed, it will annually produce batteries for up to 300,000 electric cars. By the year 2025, Northvolt estimates to employ about 3,000 people with different roles and skills. One of the skills that is especially needed is maintenance specialists.
Distance education in English
On behalf of the Swedish Public Employment Service, Luleå University of Technology is therefore starting an education that is given on the basis of the fast-track method for university and civil engineers without, or with limited experience of, Swedish working life. After completing the training, the participants have the competence to work as a maintenance engineer or maintenance specialist and can lead to employment with Northvolt or its subcontractors. The training is conducted in English as it is Northvolt's primary corporate language and since the participants come from all over the country, the training is given at a distance.
- The overall goal is that the participants after completing the training will be attractive for employment in the profession in the Swedish labor market and a possible future position at Northvolt, says Eeva Vestlund, Director of Collaboration and Follow-up Department at Arbetsförmedlingen, the Swedish Public Employment Service. .
Start in December
The training starts in December 2020 and is completed over 26 weeks. There is an opportunity for a preparatory education, Korta vägen, for those participants who need to improve their knowledge of English. Luleå University of Technology has the right to a degree for the subject and can thereby issue higher education credits for the participants who have completed the education and graduated with a passed result.
- We are very happy to contribute to the region's skills needs by tailoring a needs-adapted assignment training. At Luleå University of Technology, we have extensive experience of commissioned education and Northvolt is an important partner for the university, says Viktoria Mattsson, Head of Collaboration, External Finance and Innovation at Luleå University of Technology.
The education consists of four course modules with a total of 30 higher education credits and is carried out via lectures, seminars, laboratory work, project / group assignments and study visits:
• Introduction to Operation and maintenance technology
• Maintenance strategies
• Life cycle cost analysis (LCC)
• Condition-based maintenance