Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Can I survive in Sweden if I don’t know Swedish?

Yes, most people in Sweden speak English. However, you will probably want to learn Swedish. Luleå University of Technology offers beginners’ courses in Swedish for its visiting students and researchers.

Can I study courses in English at Luleå University of Technology?

You can choose courses taught in English offered for our exchange students, please check the link below.

How much money do I have to bring with me?

Bring about 20 000 SEK to get yourself started. This corresponds to living expenses for about three months. You can then make arrangements for subsequent monthly transfers from your bank. In order to obtain and entry visa to Sweden, you must prove that you can finance your whole stay in Sweden.

Am I guaranteed accommodation?

Undergraduate students coming on exchanges with partner universities, ERASMUS or ISEP programmes are guaranteed accommodation. While it is hoped that most international students will be in student rooms or apartments within a three-kilometre radius of the campus, some may be placed in private accommodation further away.

Can I obtain a degree from Luleå University of Technology?

No, not at present, since you will only be studying a number of single courses and not a complete study programme. If you are admitted to a Master programme at Luleå University of Technology and complete all course requirements for that programme you can apply for that degree.

Can Luleå University of Technology guarantee that I can get credit for my studies at my home university?

No, this is an academic matter for the exchange student’s home university. However, Luleå University of Technology works closely with its partner universities to give exchange students individual study options so that credit transfer is made easier.

Can I work during my study time at Luleå University of Technology?

EU/EEA citizens have the right to work in Sweden without a work and residence permit. As a non EU/EEA citizen you have the right to work as long as you have your student visa.

However, it can be difficult to find a job, knowledge of the Swedish language is essential. Also, you should concentrate on your courses and student life.

Can I stay in Sweden after the completion of my studies at Luleå?

No, but you can obtain a tourist visa if you wish to travel around Sweden and see more of the country.

When should I arrive in Luleå?

Preferably during Arrival Week, but it is mandatory prescence from Orientation week. Rememeber to fill in the Arrival Form, to notify ESN Luleå of your arrival plans well in advance, and try to arrive on a weekday during office hours.