Skip to content

Residence permit

Students from countries outside the EU/EEA

In general, all students from countries outside the EU/EEA need to have a residence permit for studies during a period longer than three months at a university or college in Sweden.

When admitted, and the fee has been paid, apply for your Swedish visa as soon as possible, at the nearest Swedish Embassy or Consulate.

Application forms are available at the Swedish Embassy/Consulate or from the website of the Swedish Migration Board,

Applications for residence permits are processed by the Swedish Migration Board.

Students from EU/EEA countries

If you work, study or have sufficient means to support yourself, you automatically have right of residence in Sweden and therefore need not register with or apply for a residence permit at the Swedish Migration Agency.