Why did you choose to go to Vietnam?
– We chose Vietnam because they seem to have an exciting culture, which is very different from the Swedish. From what we read about occupational therapy in the country it seems to be mostly physical therapists working with occupational therapy. It would be interesting to see if there is a need for further occupational therapy interventions.
Why did you choose to go together?
– We chose to go together because we both are interested in doing this kind of field study. And there is of course always an advantage to have someone to discuss and reflect with. It will be an experience of a lifetime and we want to share it with each other.
What will your essay be about and how will you gather information?
– Our essay will be about rehabilitative interventions for children with disabilities from an occupational therapy perspective. We will gather information by interviewing rehabilitation staff.
What are your expectations of the country and the hospital?
– Many students who previously made a MSF-trip had to change their plans during the journey. Therefore, we expect that we must be flexible and that nothing is as we imagined. Otherwise, we expect to create exciting new contacts and to get a good basis for the essay. We hope that there are many who can consider to be interviewed.
How do you think the journey and the experience will influence you as occupational therapists?
– We believe that this trip will affect us positively as future occupational therapists. It is always good to have experiences of other cultures than our own. We also believe that it provides a wider perspective of how rehabilitation works in another country. To exchange experiences, whether they are good or bad, you develop as a person and within the profession.