What is your thesis about?
– My thesis is about making SSAB in Luleå more power efficient and through that reduce their electricity costs. I have drawn up proposals on efficiency measures and made cost estimates. My focus has been actions where a large effect can be achieved with simple means. Examples of efficiency measures is to introduce care engine pre-heater posts with time control and also have movement controlled indoor lighting.
– My work gives SSAB an understanding of what can be done, what savings are possible and the effort needed. I will also discuss proposals in areas the company can continue to work with. The work is also interesting for other companies because I give examples of how to proceed in evaluating possible efficiency measures.
What has been the most fun and the most difficult with the project?
– What was most fun has been getting use for my theoretical knowledge in real life. The hardest part has been not having all the required parameters for my calculations. I had to make estimates and sensitivity analyzes to see how different factors may affect the outcome.
What do you think of the education programme in sustainable energy engineering?
– It has been very educative and interesting with good courses and dedicated teachers. I can definitely recommend others to read it.
What will you do now?
– In summer I will work at SSAB and in the fall I will start working "for real".