What do you do at work?
– I work as a backend programmer, in other words, I program the servers and network communication behind the games we develop. Before, I used to work at a gaming studio in Skellefteå where I got to develop games for modern VR headsets.
What is the best thing about your job?
– That I get to work with many other creative people and that we together can create cool games and experiences that can bring excitement and joy to those who play.
What in your career are you particularly proud of?
– I am very proud to have been involved in developing the game Orch Star, which was released on the Steam platform. The project started while I was still at the universiyt, when we were only three people who worked in the evenings and nights. But after graduation we became a company and it became my full time job to develop the game. Being part of building something from beginning to end and see that other people like what you have created is a feeling that is hard to beat.
Looking back at your education, what was the most important thing you learned?
– Of course I learned a lot about writing code – which is a very important part of my job – but the most important thing I learned was probably methods for problem solving and to solve problems on my own. I often have colleagues that I can ask questions, but it is still very important to be able to develop and present your own solutions. Getting used to constantly learning new things and then use your skills is also something very important I learned.
How did you experience your time at Luleå University of Technology?
– It was superb! It was very fun to meet so many others who are passionate about the same things as me, and to get to work together in different projects. Through a project work at the university, I also got in touch with people who led to my first job in the industry.
How was it to live and study in Skellefteå?
– It was great fun to study in Skellefteå. I lived in a student apartment together with two other students. We had walking distance to downtown, grocery store and to campus. The student association on campus organized many fun activities every week, my favorites were movie nights and video game nights.
Do you have any tips for anyone who is thinking about studying Computer Game Programming?
– It is important to understand that computer game development is not the same as playing computer games. However, there are lots of free tools you can download and build your own small games with, to find out if it is something you might enjoy. Personally, I recommend the game engine Unity. I would also recommend you to build your own games outside school hours, you get to test your knowledge and learn more, but also to create new contacts with other game makers.