Broad education with many opportunities
Meet Fredrik Lindahl who teaches on the Bachelor Programme in Computer Game Programming.
What courses do you teach?
– I teach game engine architecture, physics and graphics related courses such as Computer Graphics Programming, Computer Game Physics, Game engine Architecture and Computer game systems.
Why would you recommend someone to study Computer Game Programming at Luleå University of Technology?
– This is a programme that gives you knowledge that not many other programmes offer. You will gain a broad knowledge base in performance-critical programming and when you graduate you will have great opportunities in the labor market, and not just in the gaming industry. Another thing that is special about this programme is that you get to work in projects in collaboration with students from other programmes, for example 3D graphic artists from the programme in Visual Design – Digital Design, as well as the programme in Audio Technology. This broad collaboration enables you to produce high quality games and you really learn how game production works. In short, you will be ready for the job market immediately after you graduate!
As place of study, does Skellefteå have any specific advantages?
– There is a growing gaming industry in Skellefteå and many small and medium-sized programming companies. Overall, it contributes positively to Skellefteå as a city where the gaming industry is clearly present. In addition, via the real estate company Skebo, the municipality of Skellefteå provides housing guarantees to all new students in Skellefteå.
What do you want the students to learn from your classes?
– Broad knowledge in programming, deep knowledge in specific game programming and a willingness to learn even more.
What is the most fun thing about teaching?
– For me, the students are a constant inspiration to deepen my knowledge in different areas and to research even more. Thus, even a teacher must learn new things!