- The University inaugurates a major investment in space research. The initiative is led by one of the university's new space scientists who also directs research within HABIT, Sweden's first research instrument to be placed on Mars.
- An intelligent rock bolt developed by researchers at Luleå University of Technology in collaboration with companies has won first prize in the prestigious contest IPSO Challenge. It is a competition within the (IoT) Internet of Things and the finals were held in San Jose, United States.
- Tribology Research at the University results in a glycerol-based sustainable lubricant which in turn spun off into a new company.
- A collaboration with SICS, Swedish ICT, is started to establish a research center for Big Data.
- Vetenskapens hus, located in the center of Luleå opens. The house is a meeting place for the general public and the university with the aim of spreading knowledge of research conducted within the university.
- Luleå and Luleå University of Technology becomes one of six sites in Europe responsible for an important part of European Union's, so far, largest commodity investment named EIT Raw Materials. This announcement is an acknowledgment that the university's research in the field of raw materials is of highest international class.
- The number of women appointed as professors during 2014 in the Academic Celebration at Luleå University of Technology has never been as high as now. Of the twelve installed professors, seven were women.
- Student Sports Centre at Luleå University of Technology is appointed Student sport club of the year by Sveriges akademiska Idrottsförbund. The Center offers a wide range of sports activities and also hosts a gym.
- As a part of the Vision LTU 2020, the build up of of Sweden's best learning environment starts. A first step is taken when the redevelopment of the A building on campus in Luleå begins.
- Luleå University of Technology reaches 60th place when magazine Universum ranks Sweden's best employers. The University is surrounded by companies such as Coca-Cola (59th place) and Siemens (61st place) in the list. The ranking of the University conciders the category large employers.
- Luleå University's holding company takes over the company Chemrec in Piteå and its gasification plant for green fuels.LTU Green Fuels is the name of the new company.
- A new record of number of applicants to the university is set. The results show that a total of 18 per cent more than in 2012 sought, while the equivalent for the country's 6.5 percent.
- Bachelor and Master programs in Materials Engineering at Luleå University recieves the top rating Very high quality when the University Chancellor's Office (UKA) evaluated the country's technology programs.
- The King of Sweden visits, together with Kungliga Ingenjörsvetenskapsakademien (IVA), the University on August 16th.
- 70 students lost everything when their student accomodation was burned to the ground. Citizens of Luleå, students and university employees showed their compassion through offers of beds, food, clothing, mobiles, student literature and more.
- Luleå University of Technology is the first in Sweden with a new technology that scales up production of nano-cellulose from forest residues. It may eventually give the forest industry profitable new products, such as nano-filters that can clean both gas and process water, but even drinking water.
- Luleå University of Technology will be the new main authority of the historic Bergsskolan in Filipstad, Varmland.
- Luleå University of Technology's new super-organ will be inaugurated during the year by Benny Andersson, composer and world renowned former member of ABBA, holds the first performa of his, specially written work "writings in the snow. "
- Luleå University of Technology has the largest increase of all university in Sweden at First Choice. The increase amounts to 15% from the previous year.
- Luleå University are chosen as coordinators for Arrowhead, Europe's largest research project in the development of automation for manufacturing, -energy- and process industries.
- Luleå University of Technology are commissioned to coordinate mining research in all the Nordic countries in the project NordMin. Nordic Council of Ministers is investing nearly 35 million over three years in the project.
- Together with Boliden the Universitys signs a five-year research agreement. Boliden is investing 17 million in the subject Process Metallurgy
- The new popular student residential Klintbacken in Luleå is growing fast. For two years, a total of 325 apartments will be built in the area which is ten minutes cycling from Luleå city center and within walking distance from the university.
- Luleå University receives clearance from the Ministry of Industry to establish an innovation office.
- Percussion and trumpets began this fall's 40th anniversary at Luleå University of Technology. The opening ceremony was the prelude to a series of activities planned during the autumn celebration.
- After another year of positive financial result the university initiates a strategic investment for the future by including new programmes, innovation, better classrooms and labs.
- Luleå University of Technology matches all-time high in recruitment. In connection to the fall semester 2011, 3236 students have applied courses at Luleå University of Technology as their first choice, which is almost 5% more than before the fall of 2010. The number of applicants to the engineering program has increased by 14%
- There is a huge demand for trained engineers from the Civil Engineering programme at Luleå University of Technology, both in Sweden and abroad. Already four months before examination many received several bids from employers.
- The University is given graduate permission of Higher Education for all eleven subjects in secondary teacher education and award degrees to five substances on the subject teacher level, grades 7-9.
- A new national center of excellence, CIIR (Center for Interorganisational Innovation Research) has started at the University and will conduct research on entrepreneurial innovation.
- The Excellence Centre CAMM is established at the university as part of the government's strategic investment and will work with sustainable use of natural resources in mining and quarrying area with the goal to build world-class research in the field
- Thanks to a positive financial result, the university can during the next few years act strategically and focus on further improving the quality of both teaching and research.
- The University sets a new record in the number of admitted students for the autumn courses.
- Luleå University of Technology and Energy Technology Center (ETC) in Piteå is part of a Nordic large investment in climate, energy and environment at a total of 500 million. For the university and ETC the program area focuses on thermal gasification of biomass.
- New Center for eHealth (EIC) starts at Luleå University of Technology. Demand-controlled, patient-oriented and internationally leading research combined with business development of new services and products are the center's focus.
- Preschool Teacher Education at the University gets permitted to award degrees but the basic teaching qualification is rejected.