– The challenge for us was to find a solution where the load weight was as high as 1300 kg, this required a lightweight construction. The advantage of our car is that you get to drive two horses with a B license. It also has very good comfort thanks to air suspension, furthermore, the car can be lowered with the push of a button for easy and safe loading of the horses, says Sandra Fors, who read the final year at the Master of Science Programme in Mechanical Engineering.
The concept that the students have developed are presented in a detailed report which makes it possible to in future develop a real product.
– We have made a CAD model of the car and plaster prototypes of the chassis and arm. It has been very enjoyable and educational to work on this project together with Freno and we have been able to apply almost everything we've learned in our education. Sirius is a course I really can recommend, says Magdalena Modig, student at the Master of Science Programme in Mechanical Engineering.
Sirius is an advanced project course at the Master of Science Programme in Mechanical Engineering where students get to work with product in real projects. Tutors at the university and in the companies are available in the course. Sirius is open to seek for other engineering students, for instance it often attracts students from the Master of Science Programme in Industrial Design Engineering.
The other projects in this year's Sirius Course were:
– Improvement of an electro-hydraulic drive system for Bosch Rexroth Mellansel.
– Reducing fuel consumption and total cost of ownership of Volvo CE's dumper.
– Develop a drill at Sandvik Coromant, which makes it possible to drill and chamfer a hole in one operation.