The fair was organized for the first time in 1983, and in addition to the fair, LARV includes a series of activities such as lectures, workshops, meetings between companies and students as well as a banquet.
Premiere for CERN
An organization that visits LARV for the first time is CERN, the world's largest particle physics laboratory in Switzerland, which sought engineering students for job and thesis opportunities. One of the representatives of CERN was Kristina Gunne, who is the Administrative Officer in a project where CERN's IT department is working towards industry. She has worked at CERN in various roles since 1996.
– We are faced with challenges for future experiments with the particle accelerator. Therefore, we need talented students who can help us, and who come bring new perspectives and knowledge that we may lack. Sweden is unfortunately underrepresented at CERN and we notice that many students do not know that it is possible to go there as a student, says Kristina Gunne, and continues to describe the environment at CERN.
– Apart from the fact that CERN is beautifully located in Geneva with proximity to the Alps, it is an incredibly exciting workplace with people from all over the world. They are passionate about their subjects and deal with challenges that they might not have been given elsewhere. The culture also encourages people to be creative. There are two programs dedicated to students, summer programs and technical student programs, where they can participate in real projects and work in an international environment. My tip is to visit the website and submit an application where you introduce yourself and why you want to come to CERN.
Many possibilities within Vattenfall
One of the companies that visited LARV was Vattenfall, where one of the representatives was Theres Vidman, Property Law Specialist at Vattenfall Eldistribution.
– A very nice fair, it's fun to be here to meet students. We are here to present opportunities within the Vattenfall Group. There may be career opportunities, summer jobs, thesis work, trainee programs and internships. Vattenfall has a broad business and is looking for all sorts of students. At vattenfall.se/student more information can be found for those who are interested.
Great interest from companies
One of those involved in the organization behind the labor market week is Sandra Benzler, responsible for business contacts at LARV and also student at the Master Programme in Mechanical Engineering.
– I have contacted the companies and marketed our students. The interest has been great and it has been relatively easy to get them to come here. It is fun to market LTU's students; since many of them moved here to study, there are also many who would consider to move from here to get a job. This makes it easier to attract companies from all over Sweden and companies from abroad.
– The fair today has worked really well, it's a nice atmosphere. The feedback I received from companies is that they are very pleased with the event.
The companies at LARV 2018
KFS Anläggningskonstruktörer, GKN Aerospace, Peab, Skatteverket, Försäkringskassan, Hiab, Veidekke, Skellefteå Kraft, Züblin Scandinavia, Akzonobel, NCC, Prevas, Luleå University of Technology, Norconsult, BDX Företagen, Structor, Bodens kommun, Adecco, Örnsköldsviks kommun, Smurfit Kappa Piteå, ABB, Bosch Rexroth, Epiroc, SAAB, Lindbäcks, Trafikverket, JM, Sandvik, Ramböll Sverige, Billerudkorsnäs, SSAB, Volvo Group, Skellefteå kommun, Fortifikationsverket, Alimak Hek, Teach for Sweden, Luleå kommun, Knightec, SKF, GH Healthcare, SCA, Swerea, Tyréns, Sunpine, Polarbrödsgruppen, Franke Futurum, Skanska, Alten Sverige, Outotec, ESA, Boliden, Ericsson, WSP, Wibax, Cowi, Projektengagemang, Seco Tools, Lundin Mining, Sveriges Ingenjörer, Tieto, Uniper, CGI, PRV, Luleå Energi, Academic Work, Valmet, IT Advisor, Atea Sverige, Collage Arkitekter/TM, Next Stop Gothenburg, HSB Norr, Holmen Group, Contractor Bygg, CERN, SKILL, JENS S. Transmissioner, Orbicon, Gällivare kommun, Mirror, Eurocon, Engcon Group, Derome, Unionen, Metsä, Akademiska hus, Metria, Stora Enso, SSC, Umeå Energi, CAPQ, HKIG, Sweco, Länsstyrelsen i Norrbotten, Lemminkäinen, Quintus Technolgies, ÅF, ABI, Tritech Technology, Permobil, Piteå kommun, Scania, Syntronic, LKAB, Polisens IT-avdelning, BorgWarner, Dellner Train, Vattenfall, FMV, Caverion Sverige, A3J Consulting.