The library's web-based course will provide you with the skills and knowledge that will help you throughout your research career as well as facilitate your day-to-day work. It is open to PhD students and researchers at Luleå University of Technology and will ground you in everything from information searching to scholarly publishing. It is completely web-based to allow you to work at your own pace wherever you are!
Next course: 2021-09-27
Dates: September 27 - November 5, 2021
Place: Canvas platform
Last day for registration: September 17, 2021
The course is given over a six week period and corresponds to 2hp with the completion of the written assignments. It follows the research process and provides a broad overview of information literacy and scholarly publishing issues. Sections include:
- Information searching in databases and search strategies
- Reference management
- Scholarly publishing and publishing strategies
- Open Access
- Publishing policies
- The university publication database
Participants completing the course should have:
- An understanding of information resources and database searching.
- An understanding of reference management tools.
- A basic knowledge of different forms of scientific communication and publishing strategies in their discipline.
- A basic knowledge of the university’s publication repository.
- A knowledge of basic legal aspects of scientific research, publishing and copyright.
Participants completing the course should be able to:
- Evaluate and compare journals, authors, and articles using basic bibliometric indicators.
- Find and evaluate available information resources for research purposes.
- Effectively monitor research in a chosen field.