– We have visits from many students from the music schools in Sweden, but also high school students who are interested in classical music. The width is big, which makes the course week extra fun, says Christine Amcoff, a student at Luleå University of Technology and the course leader at Piteå Sommarakademi.
Fun and intensive work
The Summer Academy is a collaboration between the School of Music at Luleå University of Technology, Framnäs Folk High School and the Festspelen in Piteå. Here are offered university courses and masters courses that give higher education credits. For non-university students, there are folk high school courses with a substantially identical content. Every year there are also lunch concerts at Framnäs Folkhögskola where the students play for other participants and the public.
Christine Amcoff has participated in the summer academy six times before she has now gone to be the course leader.
– It is a very fun work, which is certainly intensive during the course week, when you should be available to everyone and try to make it as good as possible for all. But it is weighed up by nice meetings and when you see all happy students.
Christine Amcoff tells us that many students come back year after year and that the summer courses are highly appreciated by the students.
– Here we collect all courses in the same place and you get the chance to meet other people who play the same instrument but also other musicians. It's a great opportunity to connect and really immerse yourself in music. Our lunch concerts are also an appreciated feature, giving students the opportunity to listen and play for each other.
Quiet and nice atmosphere
The sisters Nicole and Julia Biegniewska were two of the students at the summer academy in 2018. For the big sister Julia it was the third time she participated in the course week.
– The teachers here are always very good and competent. Then it is also very fun to come here and be inspired by other musicians. It's also nice with the lunch concerts when we get the chance to play together, says Julia Biegniewska, studying at the Royal College of Music in Stockholm.
Nicole Biegniewska, who makes her first summer academy, enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere.
– Here you can develop in a very calm and pleasant atmosphere, it is really cozy. And the teachers are terrific.