The welcome period is voluntary, but has many benefits.
- We would like as many as possible to participate and take care that the students get a good study start, it is a good basis for further studies. You get to know the university area, new classmates and older students who can show the way and help, says Jennie Hägg Wilhelmsson, Head of Department Student.
The implementation takes place in accordance with the general advice and restrictions prescribed by the government and the Swedish Public Health Agency to prevent the spread of covid-19.
- The welcome period, which will include both digital and physical elements, is slightly shortened compared to before, this year between 23-29 August. The registration is done digitally so as not to create situations of congestion. We take all possible measures so that it will be possible to keep a physical distance, says Jennie Hägg Wilhelmsson.
Encourages students to get vaccinated
During the start of the study, the new students are informed about how and where to book an appointment for vaccination.
- It is not easy to keep track of all such things when you are new. Many may have had time to take their first vaccine dose at their place of residence, but we want to do everything to make it easier for students to complete their vaccination. We have "cut" the road to the nearest vaccination site so that it will be easy to find - all to make it easier for the students so that together we reduce the risk of the spread of infection, says Jennie Hägg Wilhelmsson.
Students from all corners of the world
The reason why they applied to Luleå University of Technology is varied, but everyone is looking forward to student life.
Agustí Garre Morell, Spain - exchange student graduate engineer sustainable energy technology
- I wanted to get away from the Mediterranean climate so it will be an experience and great contrasts from what I am used to from home. I long to get to know a new culture and new people. I want to focus on renewable energy and I therefore chose LTU, which is a pioneer in the field.
Lova Granbom, Stockholm - civil engineer road and water - My parents have studied here and many I know have recommended Luleå. I hope that the situation will be such that there can be a lot of teaching on site and I look forward to getting to know new friends.
Lufakalyo B Penuel, Kiruna, Nurse
- I have worked in healthcare before and now I am furthering my education. Feels great to be here, I'm really tagged!
Alva Wedén Lundqvist, Stockholm, civil engineer road and water
- I have longed to see something new and to come from home, and I like to ski so I think I will enjoy it. Have friends who study here, they recommend both the education and Luleå as a place to study.
Nils Söderberg Larsson, Bollebygd - Master of Science in Sustainable Energy Technology
- When I found this education, it felt like something I wanted to invest in, and it's fun to move north. I have already hung out with neighbors and found friends even though I came here just a few days ago.
Nina Nejdan, Lyon France, MSc in Computer Engineering
- I love Scandinavia and have been to both Iceland and Norway, now I want to discover Sweden! The university has a good reputation so I was very happy that I got a place here.