- The students live in a other world than we are today, and it is our task as teachers to try and understand it and provide them with the right tools to handle the overflow of online information, says Kristoffer Nordekvist, lecturer at Montessoriskolan in Luleå, Sweden.
The digitization of the school has fundamentally changed the teaching and with it comes a wealth of possibilities and benefits.
- For example, it has led to a more collaborative learning process and more of multimodality. Thus, the possibility of combining multiple forms of expression at the same time, which means more ways to teach and communicate with all students. Students are given the opportunity to process a subject from different angles and then we will also gain a deeper understanding when technology is in the hands of educators who know how to use it. In addition, we show this way that the students' everyday lives are important.
Missing technical knowledge
But digitization also places high and, to some extent, changing demands on today's teachers.
- As a teacher, I need subject knowledge, which I needed, regardless of whether I worked twenty years ago or today. Then, teachers need didactic skill, how to put up a teaching content, and a technical familiarity. Unfortunately, most teachers are not sufficiently technical and lack the right didactic skills to assess which digital tools to use and here the school needs to work a lot with continuing education. One issue that must primarily be at a management level, says Kristoffer Nordekvist.
An ever-living question
Caroline Graeske, Assistant Professor at Luleå University of Technology, emphasizes the importance of working with digitalization on teacher education.
- It is a constant living issue for us and something we are working on. Not least in view of the new schools directive, which emphasizes that digital skills are something that will penetrate schools. This is obviously something we need to adress in the teacher education, says Caroline Graeske, who thinks that the well-developed distance education is helping the work with digitalization at the university .
- We simply have to work with technology and different technical solutions that other universitys do not need to relate to. Our students are already working with a variety of apps and programs in their teaching, but I think the most important thing is finding the right approach to digitalization because technology is constantly changing and we must be careful to get stuck in a specific technology solution that will be out dated.
The lecture with Kristoffer Nordekvist is part of the celebration of the 110th anniversary of teacher education. During the spring, summer and fall, lectures, talks and debates will be held to pay attention to this.