The Environmental Laboratory at Luleå University of Technology
Environmental research in lab and field
The Environmental Laboratory is well equipped for environmental research in waste technology, urban water engineering and geochemistry and provides opportunities for both researchers and students to carry out experiments and analyzes in a varying scale.
The equipment base consists of:
- ICP-OES for measuring elemental concentrations in solutions
- TOC for organic and inorganic carbon in liquid and solid phase
- Spectrophotometer (autoanalyzer) for analysis of sulfates, phosphates, nitrogen compounds and chlorides
- Gas chromatograph for measurment of light gases from e.g. degrading experiments
- Handheld XRF for soil screening
- Particle size analyzer - laser diffraction - for water and solid samples
- Flocculators for precipitation experiments in lab scale
- Filtration equipment
- Equipment for pH, conductivity and redox measurements
- Incubators, luminometer and microscope for microbiological examinations
- Equipment for leaching tests, both batch and column tests and chemical extractions
- Shaking tables, microwave system, autoclave, automatic titrators, centrifuges, drying cabinets, ovens, sieving equipment and pumps.
The environmental laboratory also includes a student lab with basic equipment for laboratory work.
An experimental hall provides the possibility for up to 10 meters high experimental setups. In the hall is a traverse with a capacity of 5 tons installed.
There is also a fenced-in test yard adjacent to the lab which is used for pilot scale trials in an outdoor environment.