Extreme High Resolution Scanning Electron Microscope (XHR-SEM)
The microscope is a Magellan 400 from the FEI company. It is equipped with 6 detectors:
- ETD: Everhart-Thornley detector
- TLD: through-lens detector (in-lens)
- vCD: low voltage high contrast detector
- STEM: detector for scanning transmission electron microscopy
- EDS: detector for energy dispersive spectroscopy. The instrument is equipped with an X-Max 80 Silicon Drift Detector (Oxford Instruments)
- EBSD: detector for electron backscatter diffaction. The instrument is equipped with an HKLNordlysNano EBSD detector (Oxford Instruments).
- Schottky emitter
- Sub-nanometer resolution from 1 to 30kV
- Beam decceleration
- Beam current down to 0.8 pA
Thanks to these properties the Magellan is the instrument of choice for high resolution on non-conductive samples.
The microscope is equipped with a Vacuum Cryo-Transfer System and a cryo-stage (VCT100, Leica) for observations with extreme high resolution at temperatures down to -140°C. For instance, this makes it possible to observe frozen samples.