Kursnamn: Power System Economic and Market Operations
Avancerad elkraftekonomi and elmarknad
Examinator: Prof. Jin Zhong
Förkunskapskrav: Knowledge on power systems and power system analyses
1. Knowledge and understanding
- you can describe different methods for economic operations in a traditional power system.
- you have understanding on different issues in the electricity market.
2. Skills and abilities
- you can calculate models for economic dispatch (ED), unit commitment (UC), and optimal power flow (OPF) using optimization problems.
- you can model zonal-price based electricity market and nodal-price based electricity market.
- you can calculate electricity spot prices for electricity markets
3. Assessment and attitude
- you can evaluated different types of electricity markets and their operation issues.
- you are aware of how to operate a power system economically and how an electricity market is run
Kursinnehåll: Power system economic operation is one of the important issues for the system operator besides maintaining system security and reliability. Generation costs vary for different types of generating units, and generation cost curves are usually not linear. Power system economic operation in the traditional power system is to obtain the generation schedule with the lowest cost, while supply the electricity demand. In this course, we will introduce methods for economic operations in traditional power systems, including Economic Dispatch (ED), Unit Commitment (UC) and Optimal Power Flow (OPF). The principles of ED, UC and OPF are provided. The mathematical optimization models for ED, UC and OPF are formulated, and their solutions algorithms are provided as well. To consider security issues in economic operations, the security constrained OPF (SCOPF) model considering N-1 contingencies and other security constraints are introduced, formulated and solved. Numerical examples are provided in the course to help students fully understand the topics.
Electricity market is the extended version of power system economic operation in a deregulated power system. In this course, we will review the development of electricity market over the world, and introduce different types of electricity markets in the world. Both zonal price based- and nodal price based- markets are introduced, as well as their mathematical optimization models. The mathematical models and the derivations for obtaining locational marginal prices (LMPs) are provided. The LMPs obtained by SCOPF are also introduced to consider system security in the electricity market. In the lecture, we will introduce energy market, ancillary service market / balancing service market, electricity financial market, and low-carbon electricity market operation. Numerical examples are provided to help students understand electricity market operations.
Genomförande: Lectures and a number of assignments
Examinationsform: Completion of assignments
Litteratur: Power System Economic and Market Operations, J. Zhong, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis, ISBN 978-1-4822-9904-5.
Kurstid: december 2017 — april 2018
Ort: Skellefteå. Sändning till Luleå kan ordnas om önskemål finns.
Ansökan till: e-mail to email@example.com
Ansökan senast: 17 november 2017
Kontaktperson: Sarah Rönnberg, firstname.lastname@example.org