Structural analysis and mechanical properties of high performing polymer composites in tribological context
Points: 4 hp
Time: 5-7 December, 2017.
Objectives: After the end of this course the student is supposed to
- Be able to relate the fundamental knowledge in polymer composites to tribological applications
- Be able to use the basic knowledge in polymer science (specially thermoplastic) to promote advance development in relevant industry - Have gained good understanding of high performance polymeric composites for tribological applications
- Have achieved knowledge about relationships between structure and constituents of polymeric composites and their macroscopic properties
- Understand the significant mechanisms determining the behaviour of composites and how they are affecting elastic properties and strength
- Be able to estimate properties of composites with different micro- and meso structure and to perform optimal material selection
- Understand basic principles analysis of polymer composite structure.
- Be able to plan and carry out mechanical properties measurements and to analyse test results
- Be able to use simulation tools/software to design material with desired properties
Contents: tools to understand structural characterisitcs and mechanical properties of polymer composites and its relation to triblogical behavior
Teaching: The course will be conducted through lectures and demonstrations and laboratory work.
Examination: Written report and examination.
Grading: Pass or Fail
Literature: Hands out from selected papers and book chapters.
Lecturer: Janis Varna (JV), Roberts Joffe (RJ), Yijun Shi (YS), Nazanin Emami (NE)
Examiner: Nazanin Emami, Luleå University of Technology (LTU), Sweden e-mail: email@example.com