Course code: FOR037F
Education cycle: Third cycle
Course syllabus is decided by: Stefan Lundström, utbildningsledare forskarnivå
Examiner: Prof. Lydia Kokkola
Entry requirements: Acceptance as a PhD candidate
Intended learning outcomes:
At the end of the course, the postgraduate will
- Be acquainted with the main features of both written and spoken Academic English and be capable of identifying them
- Be able to demonstrate knowledge of the structure of an academic paper
- Be able to write shorter texts in good academic English
- Demonstrate knowledge of how to reference sources accurately
- Understand the principles involved in fair citation, plagiarism (inc. self-plagiarism), summaries and paraphrase.
- Be able to organise information so that it is suitable for an academic presentation
- Be able to present their own project orally without reading from a paper and with proper pronunciation
- Recongnice gender-specific language and practice writing neutrally
The goal of this course is to enable the postgraduate student to gain a general understanding of the features of academic English and be able to produce short written texts as well as giving an oral presentation. The course is intended for PhD candidates in the early stages of their studies. The postgraduates should already have a reasonable command of English (B2 or higher) , but the course will include some reminders of common grammatical errors along with information on how to correct them.
Course methods: Lectures, individual reading, paired discussion and feedback, written assignments, oral presentations
Examination format: writing portfolio (5hp) and oral presentation (2.5hp)
Grading scale: U G
Literature: The course encourages PhD candidates to use subjects close to the topic for their dissertation and so there is no reading list. There will, however, be short texts and other materials in the e-classroom which PhD candidates will also be expected to read.
Course period: 201945-201951
Send application to: Ifylld ansokningsblankett skickas till Institutionen for konst, kommunikation och larande, email@example.com
Deadline for application: 19-10-14
Contact person: Lydia Kokkola (firstname.lastname@example.org)