BIOMAC (European Sustainable BIO-based nanoMAterials Community) is a Horizon2020 project that will establish an Open Innovation Test Bed (OITB), a true collaborative ecosystem where technologies and solutions utilising nano-enabled bio-based materials (NBMs) will be upscaled and prepared for market applications.
The BIOMAC Ecosystem will provide open access to its facilities (17 Pilot Lines) and complementary services required for the development, testing and upscaling of materials and products in the field of nano-enabled bio-based products and materials. The Pilots Lines of BIOMAC cover the whole value chain, from biomass fractionation and intermediate chemicals to final NBMs.
After the validation of the BIOMAC ecosystem through 5 internal test cases (TeCs) in the fields of automotive, agricultural, food packaging, construction and printed electronics industries, an open call for expression of interest for stakeholders will be launched, inviting 5 more intra TeCs to assess the OITB. BIOMAC will function as an one-stop-shop accecible at fair conditions and costs through a single entry point, represented by ΙΒΒ Netzwerk.
The ambition of BIOMAC is to boost and sustain innovation in the field of European bio-economy industries, by reducing the time-to-market of novel nanotechnologies, thus reducing cost and risks.
The project is funded by funded by E.U. H2020-NMBP-TO-IND-2020-twostage (Dnr 952941-2).
- Setting up of a transversal service mechanism with 17 PLs upgraded at TRL7
- Contribution to innovation in the field of bio-based materials
- Increase of the number of SMEs accesing OITB through the open call, supported by dissemination and business exploitation plans
- Reduction of bio-based concepts development
- Reduction of concept to prototype component to under eight months
- Enabling of the cost-effective production of high-value nano-enabled biomaterials that can address performance challenges
- Elimination of the barrier of stakeholders to realise new ideas accessing new and unexplored markets and creating new ones via the Market Uptake complementary services
The ultimate goals of the BIOMAC OITB are to help:
- Tackle obstacles that hinder the evolution of concept development in the field of nano-enabled bio-based materials and products, providing a unique opportunity of testing ideas in a well-structured open environment
- Industrialise a new generation of nano-enabled bio-based materials