The overall aim of the project ForceUpValue is the production of low cost food-grade prebiotic celooligosacharides (COS) from non-edible (high abundance) resources. We will develop novel processes to be combined with existing ones for the use of the cellulosic outer layer of Ciona intestinalis and cellulose from forest residues for the production of cost-competitive foodgrade prebiotic cello-oligosaccharides from non-edible (high abundance) sources. By using pretreatment and enzymatic processes, well known in the biorefinery area, we aim to create novel application routes and added value for both marine and forest resources. Both cellulose sources will come from side streams, forest cellulose from harvesting/logging activities (GROT) and marine cellulose from the tunicate, thus enforcing a sustainable use of biomass resources while adding value to each value chain.
The expected results of ForceUpValue are:
1) Two novel value-chains for the production of COS with characterized prebiotic potential for human and aquaculture use and adequate IP protections
2) A sustainable and cost-competitive food production concept with low environmental impacts that enables valorization of forest and marine resources, demonstrating the synergism between these two important industrial value chains
3) Overall systems analysis for process integration into selected biorefinery cases to evaluate feasibility and sustainability performance for the introduction of the target products into the bioeconomy sector
4) Generate additional income for the forest and marine industry by increasing the economic impact of biorefineries on the overall production chain
5) Export opportunities of environmental technologies for a global market
DYRKA AB, Essum Aktiebolag, LTU BUSINESS AB, MARIN BIOGAS SVERIGE AB, Sveaskog, SLU