Increasing bio-oil yield and quality in fast pyrolysis of ash-rich forest residues through novel in-
Published: 21 January 2019
• Fast pyrolysis of lignocellulosic biomass constitutes a promising technology to reduce the Swedish dependence on fossil fuels for transportation.
• Commercial pyrolysis installations based on ash-lean sawdust (e.g., the Pyrocell plant) have reached a TRL of 8-9.
• Fast pyrolysis ash-rich residual biomass streams, such as bark and forest residues, is currently at a significantly lower TRL.
• High ash content in the biomass feedstock leads to lower fast pyrolysis bio-oil production yield and quality.
• To develop efficient countermeasures, i.e., ash related management concepts, to increase the bio-oil yield and quality in fast pyrolysis of ash-rich forest residues.
Funding: Swedish Energy Agency, BTG, BTG-BTL (6 MSEK)
Partners: LTU, KTH, BTG, BTG-BTL