After completion of this course you will be able to
- explain the physical principle and describe the performance (such as room resolution and sensitivity) for the included methods,
- describe the interaction between radiation (electrons, ions, X-rays) and the sample surface including the origin of the detected signal,
- describe the design of the most important instruments,
- compare techniques and methods regarding performance and practical use,
- chose appropriate methods to solve a specific problem.