– The first group that now has graduated came from all over the world and they worked hard and had fun together. They were engaged and curious, and it was fun to be a part of their education, says Nazanin Emami, Associate Professor of Machine Elements at Luleå University of Technology.
Tribology is about wear, lubrication and friction, which is essential for the functioning of machines and equipment. A strong consortium of four European universities that are skilled in tribology has created favorable conditions for the university's two-year Master program in tribology, TRIBOS Master.
– It is the only program in Europe that has a joint degree in tribology. The participating universities have a well balanced multidisciplinary expertise and complement each other well. The program provides students with a unique collective expertise in tribology. As for the first intake of students, nearly half received a PhD position immediately after the education and the other has returned to their previous job or got a job in the industry related to tribology, says Nazanin Emami.
Personal development favors career
Pouria Valizadeh Moghaddam and Aleks Vrcek belongs to the first group of graduates at TRIBOS Master. They are both very satisfied with the education.
– I have acquired good knowledge of tribological contacts and systems. I have also learned to work as a researcher in multicultural and multidisciplinary teams in order to find and solve tribological problems, using a scientific method, I have also developed my social and communicative skills, says Pouria Valizadeh Moghaddam who now works as a PhD student at Luleå University of Technology.
Studying in four countries
Aleks Vrecek also got employed at Luleå University of Technology, as a research assistant. He agrees with Pouria's positive opinion.
– The program is well-structured and interesting. To study in four different countries and to learn tribology gave me a unique experience that I will benefit from in the future.
Their advice to anyone thinking of applying for the program is to be positive, enjoying working in teams and be good at meeting deadlines.
– I can definitely recommend the program, it is unique and will help you develop your personal skills and build a future career, says Pouria Valizadeh Moghaddam.
– TRIBOS Master is an education I can really recommend, the programme provides a good insight into tribology and perhaps most importantly, it provides opportunities to build a personal career, says Aleks Vrecek.
The TRIBOS Master Programme is given in collaboration with the Universities of Ljubljana (Slovenia), Leeds (UK) and Coimbra (Portugal). The programme is taught in English. Students spend their first semester in Leeds and the second in Ljubljana. Then select a specific track for term 3. The track "surfaces" is given in Coimbra while "lubrication" is given in Luleå university of technology. The project work, thesis, performed during term 4 may be done at any of the four participating universities.