The main tool for achieving this vision is to establish an institutional structure of co-operation within media production research with a clear focus on the use of new media applications.
The following goals are formulated:
- The establishment of Swedish-Finnish cross-border media research relation within the region.
- A high level of industrial and societal relevance in the program
- Increased networking among media companies in the region
- Increased number of scientists active in media research in the region.
- The establishment of an expanded contact network in the region to establish long-term relations within the area of media research and education.
- Begin taking initiatives to jointly and together with the media production companies attract funding through the European Commission Framework (FP-7/FP-8) to assure long term cooperation as well as expansion of the research.
The instrument in performing this is a thematic grouping of transnational research projects involving high level researchers (professors, docents, PhDs) and PhD students. The proposed programme provides a structure for performing ground-breaking transnational research. Furthermore, the transnational research platform provides a part of the scientific basis for improved education in media studies and in journalism. Additionally, all activities in the proposed project will bring the two universities closer together with the media production industry.
Funders:EU Interreg 4A Nord, Luleå University of Technology, University of Lapland, National public funding (Finland), Kaleva Oy, Lapin Kansa, Österbottens tidning, Pohjolan Sanomat and Keskipohjanmaa.
Project-partners:Luleå University of Technology, Luleå; University of Lapland, Rovaniemi.
Industrial project-affiliates:Swedish Television (SVT), Filmpool Nord, Norrbottens Media, Kaleva Oy, Lapin Kansa, Österbottens tidning, Pohjolan Sanomat and Keskipohjanmaa.
Contacts: Ann-Kristin Juntti-Henriksson (LTU), Riitta Brusila (UoL)