The project will continue throughout 2015 and is funded by Akademiska hus and Luleå University of Technology. On the campus in Luleå construction is in full speed in several places. The goal is to create Sweden's best student environment. The idea is that the research results will be used in renovation of the house that include the teacher training. Since Akademiska hus is a real estate management that develop education and research envorinments at 18 different university across the country, the research results can reach far beyond the borders of Luleå.
Students play the main role in the project. With the help of experience walks, workshops and collaborations meet prospective teachers engineering graduates in architecture. It is the encounter between the educational and architectural perspective many ideas arise.
– The students are very involved in the project. Once we started to talk about the learning environment it is impossible for them not to see and think about it, says Eva Alerby.
The research focuses on three questions:
- How do the students experience the current study environment?
- What factors facilitate or hinder learning according to the students and teachers?
- What visions and proposals does students and teachers express?
Previous studies on primary and secondary schools shows that students interpret how the spatial environment looks like a valuation of how the adult world sees them.
– There is no reason to believe that there is another way to university, says Eva Alerby.