PAPERCHAIN project brings in an industrial symbiosis model centered in the use of different waste streams generated by the European Pulp and Paper Industry, as valuable feedstock for three resource hungry industrial sectors: construction sector, mining sector and the chemical industry. Different waste streams are produced as a result of the manufacturing processes of the Pulp and Paper industry to produce paper, board and other cellulose-based products.
Within the project, five different Circular Economy Models will be developed through Real Scale demonstrators, and serve as case in the rest of the project.
- The main objectives of the project are:
- To design the baseline for the circular economy models surrounding the Paper and Pulp Industry and the selected sectors
- To implement the valorisation processes at industrial scale
- To demonstrate the circular models at real scale in four EU countries
- To validate the sustainability of the circular economy models
- To carry out the certification processes, training and guidelines for the recycled solutions
- To develop a market strategy, exploitation routes and ensure replication
Paperchain consortium is composed by 20 partners from 5 countries (Portugal, Spain, Slovenia, France and Sweden). Acciona is project coordinator. LTU together with Boliden Mineral and Processum is active in demo circular case 5, dealing with the valorisation of green liquor dregs produced by the Pulp and paper industry as reactive sealing layers for acid rock drainage mitigation in mine waste deposits.Paperchain has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation Programme under grant agreement N° 730305.