Reserach on production and organisational development and gender
Lena Abrahamsson is chair professor in Human Work Science, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden. Her research covers production and organisational changes, workplace learning, health & safety and gender issues mainly in industrial companies. She is today active in the several projects on mining and sustainable development and digitalisation and future work. In the Master-program Industrial Design she teaches in the courses "Organisational development", "Production and organisation" and "Work Place Analysis". Since 2019 she is dean for the board of the faculty of science and technology at Luleå University of Technology.
Some current projects
- ENGIE, Encouraging girls to study geosciences and engineering. 2020-2022. EU Horizon 2020.
- Mines and society – social sustainability analysis of mine establishment. 2019-2020. Vinnova.
- SMMART, Zero carbon dioxide technology for asphalt (our part includes analyses of the working environment for the new technology and to suggest methods for improved gender equality in the sector). 2019-2021. Vinnova.
- Produktion 4.0. IUC Norr is project owner. 2018-2021. ERUF.
- ARB 4.0, Attractive workplaces through Industry 4.0. 2018-2022. VINNOVA, SSAB and IF Metall.
- SIMS, Sustainable intelligent Mining Systems (our part is mainly in WP 8 Attractive workplaces). 2017-2020. EU Horizon 2020.
Some finished projects
- SUNI, Smart Unions in New Industry. 2018-2020. EU Horizon 2020.
- PosTech, Positioneringsteknik för tung verkstadsindustri. Swerea Mefos is project owner and leader. Our part is on human-technology-interaction and organisation. 2017-2018. VINNOVA
- EBaR, Environmental Battery Recirculation. Swerea Mefos is project owner and leader. Our part includes analyses of the working conditions for the operators and to suggest improved working methods and workplace design for the industrial furnace. 2017-2018. MISTRA
- Cracks in the workers’ collective – windows for change towards gender equal mining workplaces. 2015-2017. FORTE.
- LTU Gender Contact Point. 2016-2017. ERUF.
I am born in Kalix, a small town in the county of Norrbotten in north of Sweden. Since 1985 I have lived in Luleå, the main city of Norrbotten. I studied at Luleå University of Technology (LTU) for five years (1985-1989) at the Master program Industrial design. The following years (1990-1995) I worked as a consultant at Ifa AB with production development for companies in the Swedish industry. In 1995 I started my doctoral studies at the Division of Industrial Work Environment, Department of Human Work Sciences, LTU. I took my doctoral degree in 2000 and have since then worked as assistent professor, associated professor (since 2003) and since 2006 as full professor in human work sciences, 2013-2016 chair professor in gender & technology and since 2016 chair professor in Industrial Production Environment. In 2001 I was visiting researcher at University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia. During 2002-2005 I was coordinator for LTU's postgradute school Arena Learning. 2007-2010 I was chairperson of the research area Production & Organisation at LTU, one of the twelve key areas defined by the university. 2013-2015 I was chair for LTU's appointment board no 1. 2016-2018 I was vice dean of the faculty of engineering and science. From 2019 I am dean of the faculty of engineering and science.
In addition to my assingments at LTU, I have been member of the Swedish Work Environment Authority’s advisory council (2010-2019), member of the Swedish government’s commission for gender equality in working life (2012-2015) and member of the board of FORTE (2013-2018), vice chair of FORTE (2016-2018). Since 2018 I am member of the board of Blekinge Technical Collage. In april 2018 I became chair for Georange, an NGO in the mining sector.
In my spare time I enjoy travelling. At home there are many nice building projects with mine and Jan's two old houses, one downtown in Luleå and one country house. I also enjoy reading books (mostly crime), take photos and do some painting. And I try to spend as much time as possible outdoors. In summertime we take walks in the forests, do som canoeing and sometimes cross country running (orientering) and wintertime we ski and skate. During 2011-2014 I was chair and boardmember for Luleå Basket (Swedish champions 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018!).