Andreas Almqvist är forskare och lärare på avdelningen för maskinelement vid Luleå tekniska universitet. Forskningsfokus har hela tiden legat på hur ytojämnheten påverkar förhållanden i både smorda och osmorda kontakter i lager, i hydraulmotorer, i tätningar etc. Han är avdelningens ansvarige för modellering och simulering och är handledare för doktorander i olika projekt med denna prägel.
Andreas (möt en lärare) ansvarar för och undervisar i ett antal olika kurser relaterade till ämnena maskinelement och tribologi på grundnivå, avancerad nivå och för doktorander:
Examinator för kurs på grundnivå M0012T - Maskinkomponenter
Examinator för kurs på avancerad nivå M7033T - Numeriska beräkningar med tillämpningar inom tribologi Kurskompendiet är Open Access och det finns tillgängligt via DiVA ->här<-
Föreläsare i kurs på avancerad nivå M7018T - Avancerad Maskinelement
Andra kurser som ges av Avdelningen för Maskinelement:
- M0009T - Ingenjörskonst,
- M0014T - Bilens system 1,
- M0023T - Teknologi I för basår,
- T0015T - Projektkurs B,
- M0024T - Projektkurs C,
- M7007T - Tribologi,
- M7034T - Avancerad Projektkurs i Tribologi.
CV (Updated Aug 2020)
Ph.D. in Machine Elements, 22 September, 2006. On the Effects of Surface Roughness in Lubrication. Supervisor; Prof. Roland Larsson, Luleå University of Technology. Co-supervisor; Prof. Peter Wall, Luleå University of Technology
Docent (Associate Professor)
10 November 2010
- January 2012 – May 2017: Permanent position as Associate Professor and responsible for the modelling and simulation branch at the Division of Machine Elements, LTU.
- January 2009 – January 2012: Assistant Senior lecturer (Forskarassistent) financed by Vetenskapsrådet (Swedish Research Council) at the division of Machine Elements, LTU.
- January 2007 – January 2009: Post doc - Marie Curie Fellowship at Shell Global Solutions UK under the Transfer of knowledge act.
- September 2006 – January 2007: Assistant University lecturer at the division of Machine Elements, LTU.
- January 2002 – September 2006: Ph.D Student at the division of Machine Elements, LTU.
- Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences (IVA) - award for research and development in the field of material science, 2017
- Nominee for Best Supervisor at Luleå University of Technology 2011 and 2012
- Kungliga Skyttanska Samfundet - Young researchers award, 2010.
- The Best Licentiate thesis 2005 at Luleå University of Technology certified by Vattenfall AB Vattenkraft.
- The Best Ph.D. thesis 2006 at Luleå University of Technology certified by Norrbottens forskningsråd.
Best Paper Awards
- SAGE Best Paper Award for 2014 for the paper: Experimental and numerical investigations of oil film formation and friction in a piston ring–liner contact in Proceedings of the IMechE, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology.
- SAGE Best Paper Award for 2010 for the two part paper: A mixed lubrication model incorporating measured surface topography: Part I & II in Proceedings of the IMechE, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology.
- Duncan Dowson’s Prize at the 37th Leeds-Lyon Symposium on Tribology for the paper: A semi-deterministic texture-roughness model of the piston ring to cylinder liner, Presented in Leeds, September 2010.
Supervision at present
- PhD student Kalle Kalliorinne (Main supervisor) - Topological optimisation of slider bearing geometry for durability and increased performance.
- PhD student De Huang (Main supervisor) – Modelling and simulation of reciprocating rubber seals. Fully financed by Saint Gobain Performance Plastics, USA.
- MSc thesis student at LTU – Mohamed Yousri Abdelmegui Mohamed – A mixed lubrication model for step bearings in cone cruschers. Project with Sandvik Mining and Rock Technology, Svedala, Sweden AB
- PhD, Emmanuel Kwame Essel (Assistant supervisor); Homogenization of Reynolds equations and of some parabolic problems via Rothe's method, 2008.
- Lic, Marco Rapetto (Assistant supervisor); Rough surfaces in contact: artificial intelligence and boundary lubrication, 2008
- Lic, Patrik Isaksson (Assistant supervisor); Simulation of tribology in hydraulic motors, 2010
- PhD, John Fabricius (Assistant supervisor); A study of the influence of boundary roughness in thin-film flow through homogenization, 2011.
- Lic, Shaojie Kang (Assistant supervisor); Colliding asperities: a tribological event on micro scale, 2013
- PhD, Andrew Spencer (Assistant supervisor); A simulation tool for optimising combustion engine cylinder liner surface texture, 2014.
- PhD, Joel Furustig (Assistant supervisor); Semi-deterministic numerical simulations of wear on various scales: From chemo-mechanical effects to the wear of components in orbital type hydraulic motors, 2014
- PhD student Yinhu Xi (Assistant supervisor); Linear complementarity models and experimental studies of tangential force for rolling contacts, visiting PhD student from Xi’an Jiaotong University, China, 2017
- PhD, Mohammad Shirzadegan (Main supervisor); Elastohydrodynamic lubrication of cam and roller follower applications: Fast and reliable predictions of friction, 2016
- PhD, Markus Söderfjäll (Main supervisor); Friction in Piston Ring - Cylinder Liner Contacts, 2017
- PhD, Francesc Pérez Ràfols (Main supervisor); Two-scale stochastic modelling and analysis of leakage through metal-to-metal seals, 2018
- Lic, Phillip Croné – (Assistant supervisor) Modelling full film lubrication of tilted pad journal bearings in turbines. A contribution to an EU project called FLEXTURBINE
I have supervised a number of Master Degree Projects. In particular F. Xavier Borras: Multiphysics Modelling of Spring-Supported Thrust Bearings for Hydropower Applications presented at the 2012 COMSOL Conference in Milan, Italy.
Long term projects
- 2020-2023, Multiscale Topological Optimisation for Lower Friction, Less Wear and Leakage, Research Council (2019-04293) Project leader, Grant size SEK3644000.
- 2018-2022, Simulating the Performance of plastic Seals (SUPERSEAL), Project leader, Funding from Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics, in total SEK4600000.
- 2015-2018, New Concepts in Thin Film Flow Modelling, Swedish Research Council (2014-4894), Project leader, Grant size SEK3200000.
- 2014-2017, Metal-2-metal seals modelling and simulation. Project leader, Funding from Shell NL, in total €480000.
- 2014-2017, A new mechanism for friction reduction, Swedish Research Council. Participating scientist, Total funding SEK3173000.
- 2014-2017, Development of mathematical models and homogenization theory with focus on multiscale problems in tribology: An interdisciplinary study. Swedish Research Council. Participating scientist, Acquired funding SEK400000, Total funding SEK3000000.
- 2010-2012, Advanced Lubrication Modelling, Grant agreement no PERG06-GA-2009-250623, Marie Curie European Reintegration Grants (ERG) Call: FP7-PEOPLE-RG-2009. Project leader, Grant Size €45000.
- 2009-2013, Predicting tribological performance for improved energy efficiency, Swedish Research Council (2008-22253-58436-72). Project leader, Grant Size SEK3616000.
- 2009-2011, ProAct: Surface database – a project within ProViking financed by SSF (PV08.000.02). Participating scientist, Aquired funding SEK100000, Total funding SEK36200000.
- 2009-2011, An interdisciplinary study of multiscale problems in tribology by homogenization techniques. Swedish Research Council. Participating scientist, Total funding SEK1950000.
- 2008-2010, Modelling wear and friction under boundary lubricated conditions. Swedish Research Council. Participating scientist, Total funding SEK2104000.
Short term projects
- 2018, Metal-2-metal seals modelling and simulation cont. Project leader, Funding from Shell NL, in total SEK1100000.
- 2015, Characterization of gear-set roller surface topography. Funding from Danfoss, Denmark for a PhD-student for in total 6 months’ contract research projects, Total funding SEK400000.
- 2012, Multiphysics modelling of rod seals in Stirling engines. Funding from Cleanergy for a graduate student for a 6 months’ contract research project, Total funding SEK400000.
- 2012, Multiphysics modelling of spring supported tilted thrust pad bearings for hydropower machinery. Funding from Vattenfall AB for master thesis project and a 2 months’ continuation contract research project, including time for guidance, Total funding SEK120000.
- 2011, Mixed lubrication modelling. Funding from Bosch Germany for a graduate student to carry out a 6 months’ contract research project, including time for guidance. Total funding SEK400000.
- “Computational Tribology” Jacob Wallenberg Foundation Seminar Day, Gothenburg, Sweden, 2019
- “Modelling and Simulation of Tribological Processes” TriboDays, Sandviken, Sweden, 2018
- “Modelling and Simulation of Friction and Flow of Thin Films”, Keynote speaker, IMechE Tribology Modelling: Friction and Wear Prediction Across the Scales, Birmingham, UK, 2017
- “Roughness Characterisation in tribology”, Keynote speaker, Micro/Nanoscale Models for Tribology (μ/n-Tribo-Models), Leiden, The Netherlands, 2017
- “Studying Leakage in Seals by Means of a Stochastic Two-Scale Model”
20th International Colloquium Tribology, Stuttgart, Germany, 2016
- “FE Modeling of a Thin Film Application”
TriboDays, Nynäshamn, Sweden, 2015
- “How generic mathematical models enable tribological understanding”
TriboDays, Luleå, Sweden, 2013
- “A new concept in cavitation modelling”
40thLeeds-Lyon Symposium on Tribology, Lyon, France 2013
- “Computational tribology”
TriboDays, Örnsköldsvik, Sweden, 2012
- Member of the NT-18 review panel for the call in Natural and Engineering Sciences 2016 of the Swedish Research Council.
- Professional reviewer of proposals for The Swedish Research Counci, ERC and the Czech Science Foundation
Evaluation of PhD theses
- External examiner for Carl-Magnus Everitt, degree of PhD; Influence of surface roughness on rolling contact fatigue considering thermal elastohydrodynamic lubrication effects, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, March 2020
- External examiner for Vanja Škurić, degree of PhD; Numerical Simulation of Lubricated Wire Rolling and Drawing, Zagreb University, Croatia, Oct 2019
- External examiner for Syam Parayil Venugopalan, degree of PhD; Plastic deformation of self-affien rough metal surfaces under contact loading, Delft UT, NL, Apr. 2019
- External examiner for Shivam Alakhramsing, degree of PhD; Towards a fundamental understanding of the tribological behaviour of cam-roller follower contacts, Twente UT, NL, Jan. 2019
- External examiner for Damon Lee, degree of PhD; Exploring Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication using Finite-Volume Computational Modelling Techniques, Imperial College, London, UK, Nov. 2018
- External examiner for Paolo Cinat, degree of PhD; Surface roughness genomics in contact mechanics: A new method enabling roughness design towards surface prototyping, IMT Lucca, Lucca, Italy, Feb. 2018
- External examiner for Ellen van Emden, degree of PhD; Aspects of Flow and Viscoelasticity in a Model Elastohydrodynamically Lubricated Contact, Twente University, The Netherlands, April 2017
- Opponent for Elena Miroshnikova, degree of Licentiate; Some New Results in Homogenization of Flow in Porous Media with Mixed Boundary Condition, Luleå University of Technology, June 2016
- Member of grading committee for Mattias Svahn, degree of PhD; On the Machining of Involute Helical Gears - Prediction models for tool geometry, cut gear tooth surface topography, chip geometry, and tool cutting forces, Lund University, Jan 2016
- External examiner for Gregory de Boer, degree of PhD; A two-scale approach to elastohydrodynamic lubrication, University of Leeds, March 2015
Boards and committees
- Member of the factulty board, Luleå University of Technology (2019-)
- Member of the organising committee Lika villkorskonferens 2019 held at Luleå University 19-20 November 2019
- Member of the editorial board Proceedings of the IMechE Part J – Journal of Engineering Tribology (2015-)
- Member of the organising committee TS2013 of IFTOMM held at Luleå University 19-21 March 2013
Editor of Scientific Journal
- Editor-in-Cheif for the Proceedings of the IMechE Part J – Journal of Engineering Tribology (2019-)
- Guest editor for Lubricants SI entitled Multiphysics and multiscale models of tribology
- Associate Editor for the Proceedings of the IMechE Part J – Journal of Engineering Tribology (2015-)
- Guest Editor for the ITS2013 special issues in the Lubrication Science and in Tribology (Leeds journal)
Joint publications with more than 50 (PhD) co-authors
- Team manager for the elite junior hockey team Luleå hockey J16 (2014-2018)
- Vasaloppet 2014 sub 500-finisher (4:48:42)