David Sjödin is active researcher passionate about supporting digital transformation and business model innovation in Swedish industrial ecosystems.
- Associate Professor (Docent) in Entrepreneurship and Innovation Luleå University of Technology 2017 (Focus on servitization of manufacturing and advanced service business models)
- PhD in Entrepreneurship and Innovation Luleå University of Technology in 2013 (Focus on collaborative development of production process innovations)
- Lic.Eng. in Industrial Organization, Luleå University of Technology in 2011 (Focus on open innovation in process industries)
- M.Sc in Industrial and Management Engineering, Luleå University of Technology in 2009 (Focus on strategic business development and innovation)
David is an active researcher, project manager and co-project manager for several project addressing the digital transformation of Swedish industry. He is particularly interested in digitalization as an enabler of business model innovation and sustainability in industry. Examples of topics include business model innovation for: digital servitization and advanced services, industrial digital platforms, AI, circular business models and autonomous solutions. His research particularly seeks to understand the processes of value co-creation and open innovation among actors in innovation ecosystems, buyer-supplier relationships and platform ecosystems.
The research work involves close collaboration with 40+ industrial partners. Including the majority of leading Swedish industrial firms, such as ABB, Ericsson, Epiroc, Komatsu Forest, Volvo Construction Equipment, Scania, Ericsson, leading process industry firms such as Boliden, LKAB and SCA, global IT firms such as IBM and Microsoft as well as a network of many 30+ innovative SMEs such as Mobilaris and the Synnerleap network.
The results of his work have been published in 35+ leading international peer-reviewed journals, such as the California Management Review, Industrial Marketing Management, Journal of Business Research, Long Range Planning, International Journal of Production Economics, Technovation, Technology Forecasting and Social Change and Journal of Product Innovation Management (for full list se below).
He is an active reviewer for 20+ leading academic journals and is a member of the editorial review board of Journal of Business Research. In addition, he has been active as guest editor for special issues in Industrial Marketing Management, Technology Forecasting and Social Change and Sustainability
David is involved in teaching courses and supervising theses at the bachelor, master and PhD level. His teaching interests include innovation and strategic business development, technology commercialization strategies, scientific methods and advanced project management. Has been active in executive education on topics like innovation management and business model innovation.
David is actively engaging industry, policy and society in his research work. He regularly consults large and small companies, policymakers as well as industrial network organizations on issues related to his research. For example, he has held presentations and consulted: The Swedish parliament (Riksdagen), Vinnova, Tilväxtverket and The Ministry of Enterprise as well as top management teams within multiple industrial companies such as Volvo Trucks and Komatsu Forest. In addition, he has been active in organizing 20+ workshops and webinars to disseminate research insights in Swedish industry and society.
Prizes and awards
- Awarded Norrbottensakademiens researchprice 2016 for excellence in research
- Awarded Kungliga Skytteanska Samfundets prize för young and deserving researcher 2017
- Awarded the young researcher award from Entreprenörskapsforum, 2018
- Selected for The Royal Society for Engineering Sciences (IVA) top 100 innovation in digitalization 2019 for the work done in the DigIn project (P7)
- Several best paper awards at academic conferences
- Recognized with two papers selected to R&D management top 20 “Must read papers on aspects of R&D Management” 2020