Polymer tribology deals with mechanisms and regularities of friction and wear of polymers and polymer-based composites. It studies a variety of processes running in the contact at friction of such materials.
Biotribology, friction, wear and lubrication in biological environments, in the body's joints, such as hip and knee & Bio-compatible materials especially orthopedic materials development: to develop new implant materials with improvement of certain properties for use in load-bearing joints
1994: Doctor in Dentistry (DDS). Thesis title “non-surgical treatment of periodontal disease”
2001: Licentiate in Engineering Science at Luleå University of Technology, Sweden. Thesis title “Effect of light poser density variation on dental light-cure resin composites”
2004: Doctoral degree (PhD), at Luleå University of Technology, Sweden. Thesis title “Variables affecting stress development and resin conversion in light-cured dental composites”
2006-2008: Biomaterials and Biointerface Department, Ian Wark Research Institute, University of South Australia, Australia. Supported by Swedish Research Council.
2011-2015: Associate professor / Docent qualification
2016: Professor competence:2016-onward
Director of the studies for National Research School in Tribology, Participating universities: LTU, KTH, Uppsala University, Högskolan i Halmstad
Supervising following PhD students
- Evelina Enqvist 2011-2013: licentiate thesis “Carbon Nanofiller Reinforced UHMWPE for Orthopedic Applications Optimization of Manufacturing Parameters”
- Silvia Suner: 2011-2015. PhD thesis “Investigation of Carbon Reinforced UHMWPE Nanocomposites for Use in Orthopedics”
- Jorge Rituerto: 2011-2015. PhD thesis “Investigation of the Corrosion and Tribocorrosion Behaviour of Metallic Biomaterials”
- Alaleh Safari. 2012-2017. PhD thesis “mapping of Biolubricant flow behavior using micro-PIV"
- Hari Shankar. 2017-2021. PhD thesis. "New multiscalel polymer composites for water lubricated tribological contacts"
- Zainab Al-Maqdasi (co-supervisor), 2017-2021. Natural based multifunctional polymer composites,
- Heather McLaren (co-supervisor). Development of new multiscale polymer composites for extreme tribological condition 2016-2020 Together with Professor Neville at Leeds University. This project is funded via Central of Doctoral Education UK.
- Julian Somberg. 2019-2023. PhD thesis "2D materials as solid lubricants in polymer composites"
- Maksim Nikonovich. 2020-2024. PhD thesis "Tribology of polymer ocmposites in hydrogen/cryogenic environment"
- Lucas Kneißl. 2020-2024. PhD thesis "Triboloical performance and application of biobased polymeric composites"
- Nayan Dhakal. 2021-2025. PhD thesis "Triboloical characterisitcs of additive manufacture polymeric bearing"
- Corrosion and Surface Engineering Research Group, Institute of Engineering Thermofluids, Surfaces and Interfaces. University of Leeds. UK
- Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Leeds. UK
- Nanotechnology Research Division, Centre for Mechanical Technology and Automation. University of Aveiro. Portugal
- Department of Chemical Engineering, Umeå University. Sweden
- Polymer Engineering Research Group at LTU, Sweden
- Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Western Ontario. Canada
- Departamento de Engenharia MecanicaFCTUC - Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal
- University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering. TINT - Laboratory for Tribology and Interface Nanotechnology
- 2019 Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences (IVA) - award for research and development in the field of material science.
- 2010 First place winner (shared with Division of Materials Engineering) in ”Dental ceramic challenge”
- 2008 Award winner of ”Royal Skytteanska Samfundet”. As young and outstanding researcher in the faculty of engineering at LTU.
-2002 Travel award winner in Doctoral category at International Association of Dental Research (IADR), held in San Diego, USA.
- 2001 First Price winner of Doctoral category of EDWARD HATTON AWARD, Scandinavian Division meeting of International Association of Dental Res, Copenhagen, Denmark
Examples of supervising industrial research project and MSc projects
Two Master students from our group (Dmitrij Ramanenka 2012 and Alfred Wikner 2014) were awarded NOAK academy Technical price for best master thesis. In total I have supervised about 10 master thesis projects (between 2005-2017).
Recent examples from last 5 years of Master thesis projects: I have supervised following students in their master thesis project (2011-2017)
2017: Ayush Jain “Hybrid multifunctional composite for tribological applications in extreme conditions”
2016-Hari Shankar “Hybrid advanced polymer composites for water lubricated bearing”
2015-Sandra Frlic“Tribological properties of polymer materials for gears”
2015-Alfred Wikner“wettability and co-efficient of friction measurement of newly developed nano-composites as Ski material” NOAK academy Technical prize for best master thesis
2014-Alvaro Gomez “Effect of sterilization (gamma irradiation) on mechanical and thermal properties of UHMWPE-nano composites”
2012-Dmitrij Ramanenka“Tensile and fatigue crack propagation resistance properties of MWCNT-reinforced UHMWPE”
2011-Anna Diez“Manufacturing of UHMWPE based orthopaedic composites”
2011-Fredric AuBin“BIOMATERIALS “Friction and tribology”
Research trainee candidate 2009- Evelina Enqvist. “Novel bio-naoncomposite for biomedical applications”
2011Anna Diez “Effect of Ball Milling on mechanical properties of UHMWPE composite”
2011 Erik Rylander “Corrosive and tribological behavior of Hafnium compare to Ti”
2010 Mamoun Taher “Effect of temperature and pressure of hot-press on crystallinity and mechanical properties of reinforced UHMWPE”.
2010 Dmitrij Ramanenka “Mechanical behaviour of dental glass-ceramics” NOAK academy Technical prize for best master thesis .
2009Carles Rossell.Master Thesis "Development of bio-nanocomposite for medical application".
2009. Séverine Vennin and Alexandre Dhotel.Research project “Mechanical properties of dentin and dentin bonding interface. Methodology evaluatin”.
2009. Wina Widya Gustiana. Master Thesis "Characterization of bonding-dentin interface".
2009. Lisa Levander. Master Thesis “Biocompatible iron-based colloidal suspensions for Imaging Applications”
2005. Sebastian Durin. Master Thesis “Bionano-composites; Novel combination of carbon nanotubes with ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene”.
2004.Kevin Siebert. Master Thesis “Interaction between important properties in Biopolymers”.
2004. Enric B.Llinas and Bertrand Sabatier. Master Thesis “Zirconia based Bioceramics”.
2003. Cédryck Vaquette. Master Thesis “Absorbance behaviour of light-cured dental composites”
2003. Stina Wigren and Philip Chaabane. Industrial Master Thesis (project was in collaboration with Ivoclar Vivadent Liechtenstein). “Veneering composites for indirect dental restorations: A comparative study of physical and mechanical properties”
2002.Maria M. Vigil and Alvaro N. Viera Sc. Master Thesis “Young’s modulus and degree of polymerization of Light-cured Dental Resins”
2002.Federico Tomassini. Collaborative Master Thesis project supervision with university of Perugia,Italy. “Cure kinetic behaviours and mechanical properties of nano-dental composites versus conventional” Report is published in Italy with English summery.
- 2010 Erik Rylander, Latifa Melk, Newsha Doroudgarian “Ceramic Challenge competition, industrial project”. (together with division of materialteknik)
- 2012. Alaleh Safari. Research project title: Mapping of wear particles distribution of UHMWPE nano-composite in Biological Environment
- 2012. Dmitrij Ramanska: Research project title: Mechanical characterisation of novel UHMWPE-nano compositse “A comparrative study agains virgin UHMWPE