Head of Division, Division of Machine Elements, Luleå University of Technology
Tribology with special focus on:
- High temperature tribology
- Friction and wear in dry contacts
- Surface engineering, surface coatings, surface treatments for friction and wear control
- Boundary lubrication
- Sheet metal forming
- Additive manufacturing
Education and courses
M0009T Introduction to Engineering - Examiner and lecturer
M0024T Project course C Sustainable Living - Examiner and project supervisor
M0012T Machine Components - Lecturer
T7009T Material Science and Engineering project course - Project supervisor
- 2014 - Associate Professor, Division of Machine Elements,
- 2010 – 2014 Assistant Professor, Division of Machine Elements, Luleå University of Technology
- 2009 – 2010 Researcher, Division of Machine Elements, Luleå University of Technology
- 2005 – 2009 PhD student, Division of Machine Elements, Luleå University of Technology
Higher Education Degrees
- 2014 Associate Professor in Machine Elements
- 2009 PhD in Machine Elements. Doctoral thesis title: “Tribology of Hot Forming Tool and High Strength Steels”
- 2007 Licentiate of Engineering in Machine Elements
- 2005 MSc in Mechanical Engineering
- The Engineering Student Union at Luleå University of Technology Teacher of the Year award 2021
- University's pedagogical prize: Distinguished initiatives for the benefit of education at undergraduate and advanced level 2021
- The Jacob Wallenbergs Foundation Grant for research and development in the field of material science 2020
- The Student Union and PhD Student Association award for Supervisor of the year 2019 at Luleå University of Technology
- Norrbotten Research Council award for best Doctoral Thesis at Luleå University of Technology 2009
Main supervisor for PhD students
- Sergej Mozgovoy, "High-temperature tribology in press hardening"
- Justine Decrozant-Triquenaux, "High-temperature tribology in hot forming of aluminium"
- Maria Rodiouchkina, "Material characterization and tribological performance of self-lubricating polymer composite bearing materials used in hydropower applications"
- Gabriel Macêdo, "Tribological characterisation and surface functionalisation of additive manufactured tool materials"
- Daria Kolbas, "High temperature tribology of FeCrAl alloys in liquid lead environment"
- Lisa-Marie Weniger, "Hydrogen embrittlement in rolling element bearings"
- Pouria Valizadeh Moghaddam, October 2020, "Tribology of carbide-free bainitic steels"
Assistant supervisor for PhD students
- Paul Gruber, "Microstructure and Properties of Weld Overlay Coatings of FeCrAl Alloys on 316L Stainless Steel in Liquid Lead Environment"
- Daniel Gebretsadik, May 2017, ”Tribological Characteristics of Some Multi-layered Pb-free Engine Bearing Materials"
- Sinuhé Hernandez, March 2016, ”Friction and Wear Phenomena in Steels at Elevated Temperatures”
- Leonardo Pelcastre, December 2013, “High Temperature Galling: Influencing Parameters and Mechanisms”
- Member of the board of the Swedish Tribology Group (STG) since 2011
- Actively working with research cooperation and research strategies for the Centre for High-performance Steel (CHS)
- Active participation in the creation of the Swedish-German Centre of Excellence for Hot Sheet Metal Forming of High-Performance Steel (CHS²). Currently also actively involved in the activities of the CHS2 centre.
- Coordinator for industrial contract research activities in Tribolab, Division of Machine Elements, LTU. Responsible for scientific discussions with customers, preparation of project proposals, delegation of work and final reporting to customers.
- Well established research collaboration with leading industries and institutes such as Gestamp HardTech, SSAB, Ionbond Sweden, Seco Tools, Sandvik Materials Technology, Sandvik Coromant, Uddeholm, Husqvarna, Epiroc, Hydro, Höganäs, Scania, Volkswagen, ArcelorMittal, QuakerHoughton, Volvo Cars, Swerim, RISE IVF, and more.
- Member of grading committees at Uppsala University, Linköping University and Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
- Faculty opponent at Karlstad University and University of Oulu
- Associate Editor for the Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology
- Visiting Professor at Université de Lyon, Ecole Nationale d'Ingénieurs de Saint-Etienne, France. Teaching and joint research project.
- Kassel University in Kassel, Germany, with Professor Kurt Steinhoff. The research involved tribological experiments using a specialised tribometer for hot forming applications.
- Atatürk University in Erzurum, Turkey, with Professor Ihsan Efeoğlu. The work involved deposition and characterisation of PVD coatings.