- PhD in Industrial Design (2011), Luleå University of Technology (Focus on driving performance in relation to cognitive load)
- Technology Licentiate degree in Industrial Design (2008), Luleå University of Technology (Focus on the location and usability of information in relation to in-vehicle locations)
- MSc in Psychology (2005), Luleå University of Technology (Focus on Human Factors)
- BSc in Psychology (1992), Palm Beach Atlantic University
My present research profile builds upon the expressed need for better understanding of maintenance risks using the maintenance systems, e.g. Human Machine Interaction (HMI) of the systems. More specifically, I’ve focused upon the development of guidelines for maintenance systems, to assist operators and maintenance personnel in their decisions. First, by risk analysis and, secondly, recommending and testing development opportunities. The overall goal has been to assist maintenance technicians with easy to use interfaces supporting their knowledge and need for the right information, in the right context, at the right time. This work has focused upon gaining tacit knowledge from the users of the system, that is, learning from them what they already know about, and can communicate it clearly.
More specifically how tacit knowledge, from maintenance technicians, can be learned and applied in intelligent systems. In Autonomous Maintenance, must technical systems and the physical maintenance actions harmonized so to complement each other. So that both explicit and implicit knowledge can be learned for next generation solutions. I have identified two major opportunities in which human intuitive cognition can collaborate with intelligent systems for maintenance solutions; through implicit situation awareness measurement techniques, using cognitive task, and the integration of collaboration concepts in the design of automated systems.
Teaching and Supervision
Involved in teaching courses and supervising theses at the Bachelor, Master and PhD level. This teaching includes Human Factors, Design, Maintenance Engineering, and Maintenance Strategy. Is also active in professional education.
- Human Factors in Maintenance (D7013B)
- Human Factors for Safety in the Workplace (D0019B)
- Senior Design Project in Maintenance Engineering (D0017B)
- Design Science (D7018A)
- MSc thesis Industrial Design (D7014A)
- BSc thesis Maintenance Engineering (X0009B)
- MSc thesis Maintenance Engineering (X7013B)
- Angelo Compierchio - Situational Awareness simulation for supporting inflight
- Ville Rauhala - Reducing failure and downtime caused by maintenance actions
- Prasanna Illakoon (2020) - Soft Issues of Industry 4.0: A study on human-machine interactions
- Ravdeep Kour (2020) - Cybersecurity in Railway: A Framework for Improvement of Digital Asset Security (2020)
- Esi Saari (2019) - KPI framework for maintenance management through eMaintenance: Development, implementation, assessment, and optimization
- Liangwei Zhang (2016) - Big Data Analytics for Fault Detection and its Application in Maintenance
- Mustafa Aljumaili (2016) - Data Quality Assessment: Applied in Maintenance
- Yamur Aldouri (2016) - Information assurance for maintenance of railway track
Deputy Department Head
As Deputy Dept Head, my role is to assist in leading the dept in management, budget planning, and strategic planning, with a special focus on educational quality. I've focused upon turning around the status of education and teachers, in which we've sucessfully gone from the poorest performing dept in pedagogical development, performance ratings, and quality improvements to the top. The dept consists of ca 400 employees and 18 research subjects with a turnover of ca 400 Mkr.
Head of Education
As Head of Education I am in charge of operation and management for the department's 14 BSc and MSc programs, which include Civil Engineering, Arctic Mineral Resources, Maintenance Engineering, Natural Resources, Chemistry, Mining, Construction Management, Building, and Architectural Engineering programs. My role is to systematically improve the quality of the programs, manage programs, manage personnel, manage student recruitment, lead contact to society, lead our educational administrative staff, and manage educational development projects.