Will be at the forefront in Sweden
In the autumn of 2019, a successful occupation begins in the new modern university library (floor for floor) which has been closed after the snowy winter of 2018, due to a roof terrace. As the library was then closed, the university took the chance that instead of just letting the roof and damages rise, dare to make a substantial modernization and adapt the library to the new needs that exist at a university library.
-– This means that with our modernization, we can now be at the forefront of university libraries in Sweden. We build in flexibility in the library, frames, which allows us to adjust to new needs. We do not know exactly how the library will develop when it is put into use, Eva Nyman, says.
Sustainability and flexibility
The renovation and adaptations that Luleå University of Technology and the property owner Akademiska hus make in the library are characterized by a long-term perspective and sustainability with a flexible and challenging learning environment. In the heart of the library's heart is a research square with seating groups. Here, students and researchers, staff and students should be able to meet in a natural and inspiring way. Here, dissertations will be nailed up digitally with open ceremonies. Grants Office, which helps the university's researchers to find external funding, will place some of their activities here.
– The whole idea with the university library makes me very happy. Everything is connected, while we have got a variation. The feeling of the beautiful building remains and we have been able to reuse a lot from the old library, ”says Eva Nyman.
The idea sketches above show the idea with the new library:
- The new university library receives several exciting surfaces, including research squad, presentation studio, and meeting bubbles; where students and researchers can train for example presentations and have meetings with staff from the library and Luleå University of Technology. There will be lounge areas and a number of exciting study areas; quiet reading room, pop-down places and classic study places
- Educational learning environment, in a modern design where the University Educational Center, HPC and the library can meet groups in a challenging and exciting learning environment
- The popular study places on level 3, along the shelf with an overview of the library, remain but refreshed
- The surface layers are painted and new textile mats are put into group rooms. The wooden floor in the other library is sanded and oiled in
- New luminaire in ceiling and interior (bookshelves)
- New ventilation solution is installed which provides a flexible solution for future needs / adaptations
- External solar shading on the side facing the A-house (the large glass sections, floor 2)
- The water pond is maintained, but will receive an upgrading of Akademiska hus to be re-commissioned
– The new university library will be an inspiration for students, staff and the public and a good study environment. All persons should be able to find a place in the library that suits them, Eva Nyman, says, Deputy Director at the University Library at Luleå University of Technology.