Hey, who are you?
– I'm Linda Gustavsson, a teacher since two years and teaches nursing and specialist nursing students. I became a registered nurse almost 14 years ago and has specialized education in anesthesia. The last 10 years I have worked as a anesthetist nurse, and the last few years combined with teaching at Luleå University of Technology. I have always liked to learn new things and to study.
The remote program Specialist Nursing, Anesthesia Care, starts in autumn 2016. What do you think about the initiative?
– I'm very happy that it will finally start! We know that in Sweden there is a great shortage of specialized nurses.
What are your expectations of the program?
– The programme will facilitate the recruitment of talented and skilled nurse anesthetists.
How would you describe the occupation?
– An exciting and varied profession. You get the opportunity to assume responsibility and care for one patient at a time, everything from small children to the elderly healthy patients, who for some reason needs surgery, for complex ill patients. A profession where you need to be able to think independently and work in teams with other professionals. A situation with an anesthetized patient can be calm and stable, but quickly change, to require attention and action.
What is the best thing about the profession?
– Variations, one day is not like the other. Also all patient appointments and the opportunity to care for one patient at a time.
What is the challenge?
– To manage the care of critically ill patients during an operation and then quickly be able to take part of, for example, a caesarean section. Being able to be flexible.
How are you as a teacher?
– Engaged and happy. My goal for students is that they will be curious and interested so they wish to seek knowledge themselves.
What attracted you to teaching?
– I've always liked to supervise and teach students at the clinic. Seeing students develop and grow. When the opportunity came I saw it as a challenge to teach at Luleå University of Thecnology.
What is it like to work as a remote teacher?
– It is challenging as most of the teaching is done by distance-spanning technology. Fortunately, there are a variety of teaching aids. Some lectures are recorded and some are sent directly over the network. When the students are on campus focus is on practical exercises.
Who do you think should apply to the programme?
– Nurses who are interested in working in emergency care, wants to deepen their knowledge, like challenges and that situations rapidly can change.