– The course has been really good, especially when you get to work with a company and get out into the real world, says Emil Soini who is reading the fourth year of the MSc program Sustainable Energy Engineering.
Emil, along with Daniel Holmros worked for the Swedish Transport Administration in which they examined the possibility of using solar energy to cool their technical buildings*. Both are very happy with the response they received from the Swedish Transport Administration.
– It has worked very well and we have received prompt feedback to our questions, says Emil Soini.
The supervisor for Emil and Daniel at the Swedish Transport Administration was Camilla Fransson who works with energy efficiency in the activity of investments.
– It's great that we have the program Sustainable Energy Engineering in Luleå, it is an important education. Energy efficiency is one of the strategic challenges for the Swedish Transport Administration and we need to work more with the development of sustainable energy technologies compared to what we do today, says Camilla Fransson.
Examiner at the main course in Sustainable Energy Engineering is Marcus Öhman, Professor of Energy Engineering at LTU. He is very pleased with what the students performed and when asked about what is the overall purpose of the course Marcus responds:
– This course learn students to work as engineers in live projects. They get to do a proper reporting before they go out and work with their thesis.
According to Marcus, the involved companies and organizations were undivided positive to the students' work:
– All industry partners were very pleased. I or one of my colleagues on the course call and talk to them when we are grading their projects and the question we ask is for example if they have worked well as engineers.
For the next time Marcus Öhman believes that the number of projects will be increased significantly compared to the current five:
– We have a particular good cooperation with Solander Science Park in Piteå, a cluster of research and business development in renewable energy. I think we will have at least ten live projects in the next edition of the course.
* Approximately 1000 technical buildings are to be found along Swedish railways and the task is to manage and secure operations, communications, signaling, lighting and the like.