In which courses do the students meet you?
– I teach in several different courses on the programme. We bring in teachers from the industry with cutting-edge competence, in addition, it is me and the local teaching team who lay the foundation, organize the courses and provide support to the students. You will meet me during the first course, Introduction to Computer Graphics, and later in courses such as Compositing and 3D graphics for computer games.
Why study Computer Graphics at Luleå University of Technology?
– Our programme is one of a few university programmes in Sweden that focuses on image production for both the gaming and film industries. We have a broad approach to computer graphics production and focus on a deep understanding of the basics, technical, artistic, and production. Through our courses, you get a good overview of the different specializations in computer graphics, and get the opportunity to focus on what you find interesting. You will work a lot in projects, together with students on the Bachelor Programme in Computergame Programming. We teachers are proud of the high image quality that the students achieve, see for yourself at gscept.com . After the education, you have a portfolio that helps you get a job in the industry, and you are ready for future development. The university has more than 30 years of experience from this type of programme, that experience and our large alumni network help us to constantly move forward.
What do you want the students to learn from your courses?
– It is easy to get caught up in the technical when you learn computer graphics, but it is important to remember your own vision for what you do. The courses I hold are partly about learning theory and practice, and partly to give space for creativity and to take the work a step further. Computer graphics is about technology, but we want to create images that really engage.
Does Skellefteå as destination have any specific advantages?
– Campus in Skellefteå has a lot that speaks for itself: there are several educations in related subjects next to each other, a tradition of creative and ambitious students, a growing industry in the gaming industry and digital design and the municipal real estate company Skebo provides housing guarantee to all new students. Everything contributes to an environment where you can focus on what is most important: your studies and your future.
What is the most fun thing about teaching?
– For myself, it is constantly fascinating to explore the subject of computer graphics. The technology and working methods are constantly evolving, there is always something new to learn and the creativity and artistry is inspiring. But the most fun is still when the students surprise me with new solutions, creative ideas, and their personal development.
What is the most challenging?
– Computer graphics is a subject in constant balance between the technical and the artistic, between production and development. It is also a broad topic, and it is easy to feel that you do not have time for everything. Einstein is said to have said something like "the value of an education is not to learn a lot of facts, but to practice thinking", and that is something I remind both my students and myself of!
Do you have any advice for those who are considering applying to the progarmme?
– You should know that computer graphics is not like any other subject. Ultimately, it's based on your own interest and passion, you do not stop being a computer graphic designer when you go home for the day. From the industry's point of view, it does not really matter where, or even what, you have studied. It is your portfolio and your ability to work together that are most important. There is a lot at Luleå University of Technology that gives you good conditions for success, but the most important thing is still your fellow students. It is you who will work together and inspire each other to continue to develop. And just a few years after graduation, you will realize that together you form an invaluable network of contacts.