Hi there, who are you?
– My name is Micael Öhman and I am the educational leader for the program Preparatory Programme in Technology. I am responsible for the design and development of the program so that it will work for both the student and the university. In addition, I teach, among other things in physics at the Preparatory Programme in Technology, as well as research in wood technology.
Why is it so fun to teach?
– The most fun is the magical moment when the student understands how to solve the problem.
Why should you study Preparatory Programme in Technologyat Luleå University of Technology?
– It's a great opportunity to change the direction of your future career. At the same time, it is a smart way to check if engineering is for you. If you fix the courses, the engineering courses should not be a problem. But of course, Preparatory Programme in Technology also poses a challenge! In order to prepare you in the best possible way, we have added some important course elements from the engineering programs that you have greatly benefited from later. At Luleå University of Technology, we take time with our students. You are always welcome to come and ask for help outside of class. It is our job to try to help you in your learning! In addition, Skebo, Skellefteå municipality's real estate company, has a housing guarantee for all our students.
Does it matter what program I read in high school?
– No, everyone is welcome no matter what program you went to high school. But you should probably think that math is manageable because math and logical thinking are a big part of all engineering programs. The most important success factor is that you have decided to fix the courses. An education is probably the most important investment you make in your life – it can give you great opportunities and you can work with stimulating tasks during your professional life.
What can I study after technical base year?
– You gain access to all engineering programs. If you also fix a guarantee spot, that is, you get approved in all courses during the regular term, you can choose freely from all engineering programs at Luleå University of Technology. So you can go to exactly what program you want! Many other universities have limited how many students are allowed to start their respective programs. This means that you have to compete with your course participants and your grades determine what you get into. We have chosen not to introduce a quota because we believe that the competitive situation only leads to unnecessary stress. We would rather encourage students to help and study together.
Do you have any advice for future students?
– Decide to succeed and do not give up even if it feels impossible at first! It is a higher tempo and the requirements are greater than in high school. For many, therefore, the fall term feels like a shock and in October self-confidence is at the lowest for most people. But then it turns around and in March most people laugh at how they behaved during the autumn term! It is simply that the more you exercise the better you become at studying.