(updated 1 March 2021)
Chair Professor, Machine Elements Division at Luleå University of Technology, Sweden
My research interest - Tribology
Tribology, such as:
- Lubrication in all regimes, from boundary to elastohydrodynamic lubrication
- Modelling of tribological phenomena such as boundary lubrication of rough surfaces
- Contact mechanics
- The influence of surface roughness on wear, friction and lubrication
- Tribology applied to rolling element bearings, clutches, hydraulic components, tyres, skis and more
M7007T Tribology - an important undergraduate course suitable for students within mechanical engineering, engineering physics, materials science, applied chemistry etc.
M7018T Advanced Machine Elements - a course on Master level about machine components such as bearings and transmissions but also about systems of machine components, for example, automotive drive trains and hydraulic fluid power systems
Doctoral courses on:
- Modelling and simulations in tribology
- Boundary lubrication
- Lubricants and lubrication
- Rough surfaces in contact
We use teaching and assessment methods which supports the student's learning according to Bigg's Constructive Alignment. We use, for example, oral examination to assess the student's understanding and we use the Flipped Classroom concept to give the students better opportunities to practise their skills in the classroom, coached by the teacher.
- 2005- - Professor in Machine Elements, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden
- 1996-2005 - University Lecturer, Division of Machine Elements, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden
- 1991-1996 - Doctoral student, Division of Machine Elements, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden
- 1988-1991 - R&D Engineer at ABB Stal, Finspång, Sweden
- Professor in Machine Elements, 2005
- Docent in Machine Elements, 2001
- Ph.D. 24 May 1996. Title of Thesis: "Elastohydrodynamic lubrication under non-steady conditions"
- M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, Luleå University of Technology, 1988
People awarded doctorates and licentiates with Roland Larsson as supervisor
- Sergei Glavatskikh, Ph.D. degree December 2000., “On the hydrodynamic lubrication in tilting-pad thrust bearings”.
- Alexei Jolkin, Ph.D. degree March 2001, “A hybrid technique for investigation of
- elastohydrodynamic lubrication”.
- Naghi Solimanjad (Solimannezhad), Ph.D. degree June 2002, “Friction in metal powder pressing”.
- Torbjörn Almqvist, PhD degree March 2004, “Computational fluid dynamics in theoretical simulations of elastohydrodynamic lubrication”
- John Lord, PhD degree May 2004, “Thin lubricating films in elastohydrodynamic contacts: techniques and applications”.
- Andreas Almqvist, PhD degree September 2006, “On the effects of surface roughness in lubrication”
- Fredrik Sahlin, PhD degree May 2008, "Lubrication, contact mechanics and leakage between rough surfaces"
- Marco Rapetto, Licentiate degree, May 2008, "Rough surfaces in contact : artificial intelligence and boundary lubrication"
- Pär Marklund, PhD degree September 2008, "Wet clutch tribological performance optimization methods"
- Aldara Naveira Suarez, Licentiate degree, February 2010, "Parameters affecting the functionality of additives in lubricated contacts : effect of base oil polarity"
- Patrik Isaksson – Licentiate degree, 2010 “Simulation of tribology in hydraulic motors”
- Kim Berglund – Licentiate degree, 2010 “Sustainable performance of wet clutch systems” (co-supervisor),
- Aldara Naveira Suárez, PhD degree February 2011, “The behaviour of antiwear additivies in lubricated rolling-sliding contacts”
- Kim Berglund, PhD degree, September 2013, “Predicting wet clutch service life performance” (co-supervisor)
- Shaojie Kang, Licentiate degree, September 2013, “Colliding asperities: a tribological event on micro scale”
- Andrew Spencer, PhD degree, December 2013, “A simulation tool for optimising combustion engine cylinder liner surface texture”
- Marcus Björling, PhD degree, October 2014, “Friction in Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication”
- Nowshir Fatima, PhD degree, October 2014, “Impact of water contamination and system design on wet clutch tribological performance”
- Joel Furustig, PhD degree, November 2014, “Semi-deterministic numerical simulations of wear on various scales: From chemo-mechanical effects to the wear of components in orbital type hydraulic motors”
- Stephan Schnabel, PhD degree., Oktober 2016, “High Frequency Elastic Wave Emission Caused by a Single Elastohydrodynamically Lubricated Contact: Fundamental Sources and Principles” (co-supervisor)
- Mohammad Shirzadegan, PhD degree, December 2016, “Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication of Cam and Roller Follower Applications” (co-supervisor)
- Markus Söderfjäll, PhD degree, April 2017, “Friction in Piston Ring - Cylinder Liner Contacts”
- Tobias Hultqvist, PhD degree, September 2020, "Transient elastohydrodynamic lubrication: Effects of geometry, surface roughness, temperature, and plastic deformation"
- Aleks Vrcek, PhD degree, October 2020, "Tribology of Rolling-Sliding Contacts under Mixed Lubrication: With focus on a Crankshaft Roller Bearing Application" (co-supervisor)
- Jonny Hansen, PhD degree., February 2021, "Elastohydrodynamic film formation in heavily loaded rolling-sliding contacts: Influence of surface topography on the transition between lubrication regimes"
Ph.D. students, currently under supervision
- Jamal Choudhry
- De Huang (co-supervisor)
- Kalle Kalliorinne (co-supervisor)
- Jing Hua (co-supervisor)
Awards and distinctions
- 1994 "Young investigators award for the outstanding paper" at Austrib'94 Tribology Conference, Perth, Australia, December 1994.
- 1994 “Best Paper Award", Journal of Tribology, certified by American Society of Mech. Engineers (ASME)
- 1996 "Curt Boströms forskarpris 1996" certified by Norrbottens Forskningsråd.
- 1998- "Junior Individual Grant 1998-2000", 500 000 SEK per year, certified by Stiftelsen för Strategisk Forskning (SSF).
- 2002 “Skytteanska priset 2002”, 30 000 SEK, certified by Kungliga Skytteanska föreningen, Umeå.
- 2003 ”Jacob Wallenberg Foundation”, 100 000 SEK, certified by Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences 2003 for excellent research in the field of rolling element bearings.
- 2008 "Nordeas Vetenskapliga Pris 2008", 100 000 SEK, certified by Nordea's Norrlandsstiftelse
- SAGE Best Paper Award for 2010 for the two part paper: A mixed lubrication model incorporating measured surface topography: Part I & II in Proceedings of the IMechE, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology.
- 2013 “Best Surface Engineering Paper Award”, Tribology Letters and Tribology Transactions, certified by the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers (STLE)
- 2014, SAGE Best Paper Award, Proceedings of the IMechE, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology for the paper "Experimental and numerical investigations of oil film formation and friction in a piston ring–liner contact"
- 2015, Winner Venture Cup North, 100 000 SEK, "Sustainalube - new green lubricant"
- 1995 Leeds University, Dept. of Mech. Eng. (Aug-Dec) (“pre-doc”)
- 2005-2008 SKF Engineering Research Centre, Niuewegein, the Netherlands (part-time 20%), Marie Curie Experienced Researcher Exchange Programme.
- Scientific Leader, CREATERNITY, 2020-
- Member of the University Board, LTU, 2020-
- Dean, Chairman of the Faculty of Engineering Board at LTU, 2016-2018
- Vice-Dean, Deputy Chairman of the Faculty of Engineering Board at LTU, 2013-2015
- Member of the Faculty of Engineering Board at LTU, 2007 and onwards
- Chairman of the LTU Postgraduate Development Group, 2007-2009
- Member of Department management group, 2000 and onwards
- Head of Ph.D-studies at the Dept. of Mech. Eng. (>100 Ph.D-students), 2000-2004.
- Associate Editor of Proceedings of Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J – Journal of Engineering Tribology, 2000-2015
- Peer-reviewer for 3-5 international journals (J. of Tribology, J of Eng. Tribology,
Tribology Int. etc.)
- Member of the doctoral examination board at Swedish universities >10 times (KTH, LiU, LTH, CTH, LTU, DU)
- Faculty opponent at doctoral dissertations 3 times (KTH, Uppsala University)
- External Examiner abroad (Cardiff University, Leeds University, Twente University, Porto University, Tampere University of Technology, Imperial College, Danish University of Technology, Loughborough University)