Find on this page
Change your studies
Here you can find information on how to pause your studies, how to interrupt your studies, how to return to your studies and how to change programs.
Pausing your studies, interruption of studies
If you need to take a temporary break from your studies, you can apply for a study leave. If a leave of absence is granted, you are guaranteed the right to return to your studies after the leave of absence, provided that the studies are offered in the current semester. Study leave is not granted retroactively.
Note! If you do not intend to start a course you have been admitted to and have special reasons, you should apply for a deferment.
Special reasons for suspension of studies
An interruption of studies is granted if there are special reasons. Special reasons include social, medical or other special circumstances. Special reasons must be documented with certificates.
- See information about special reasons External link.
Universitets- och högskolerådet, document in swedish.
If you do not have a special reason and still fail to complete your studies, you can return if there are places available. You apply via the form Return to studies further down the page.
- Personal reasons - enclose certificates or the like that justify the reasons stated.
- Medical reasons - certified by a medical certificate.
- Birth of a child - attach a birth certificate.
- Childcare - is supported by personal evidence of the applicant and the child.
- Student union assignments - each student union must prove the assignment and its scope.
- Temporary or full-time service in the Armed Forces - attach certificates from the Armed Forces.
Return to studies
You apply for a return to studies both in the case of a granted study leave with a place guarantee and if you have been away from your studies without a granted study leave.
You apply for a return to studies no later than 1 October for the spring semester and no later than 1 April for the autumn semester. You can find the application form for return to studies at the bottom of the page.
After October 1 and April 1:
- Preparations are made for the return of those who have been granted a study break with a guaranteed place.
- An assessment is made of whether there is a place to return to the program for those who have paused their studies.
Re-examination during a study break
You cannot register or re-register for the program or courses within a program during your study break, but it is possible to re-examine previously registered courses.
Finances during a leave of absence
A study break affects your right to study grants. You should contact CSN to find out what applies to you.
If you have questions about unemployment insurance, parental allowance, etc. during a study break, contact the relevant authority.
Withdrawal from program studies
If you want to discontinue your program studies, you must interrupt your studies. The application is made in the form below.
Things to consider before interrupting your studies
Before requesting a break, make a plan for which courses you intend to complete within the program and do not report a study break until you have received the results from these courses. When registering for an interruption in your program, all your exam registrations and uncertified results will disappear. You also cannot apply for courses within the program after a study break.
If you want to return to the program after a study interruption, you must apply for the program again on universityadmission.se External link, opens in new window. and thus compete for a place.
If you feel uncertain about your decision, you are welcome to contact the study counseling.
The date of interruption of studies is the date you fill in the form.
Withdraw from courses
There are two types of course interruptions:
1. Early withdrawal
Early withdrawal is made within three weeks of the start of the study period (no later than the third Sunday after the first day of registration). The withdrawal is done through Ladok External link, opens in new window.. An early withdrawal means that you can apply for the course again at a later date via universityadmission.se External link, opens in new window..
2. Late interruption
A late withdrawal is made if you have followed the course for more than three weeks. A late interruption means that you cannot apply for the course again at a later date, but can only take the course subject to availability; re-registration. The withdrawal is done through Ladok External link, opens in new window., use your student user to login.
If you have decided to change program, you must apply for that program. If it is a completely different program, you must apply for semester 1, i.e. you start the program from the beginning. If there is a similar course in the new program that you have already studied, you can apply for credit transfer.
Later part and higher year
You can apply for a later part of the program if you want to change the program:
- Within LTU.
- If you study elsewhere and want to continue the corresponding program studies at LTU.
- If you want to complete a general degree/engineering degree with e.g. civil engineering degree.
- If you have started a program and have a break in studies without a place guarantee.
- If you have interrupted the program and want to resume the program studies.
- a period of study of at least 2 semesters should remain until graduation?
To see which programs that can be applied for later, click here Opens in new window..
You apply on antagning.se External link. no later than 15 April if the program starts in the fall and no later than 15 October if the program starts in the spring.