Find on this page
If you do not have a formal qualification for a course, you may still be able to obtain a qualification by applying for prior learning. The university will then assess whether you are considered to have equivalent knowledge to complete the course you have applied for. The admissions unit decides on prior learning.
What is prior learning?
Prior learning refers to your accumulated knowledge and experience that you may have acquired in different ways, for example through working life, associations, stays abroad, staff training or other courses. You can apply for assessment of prior learning for both general and specific entry requirements. Luleå University of Technology does not use tests or interviews in the assessment of prior learning. Granted prior learning gives eligibility but no merit value or priority to the education applied for.
For example, if you lack an upper secondary school course, you should go to the Swedish National Agency for Education's website External link, opens in new window. and read the objectives of the upper secondary school course. Using the course objectives as a starting point, you can then describe how you have acquired equivalent knowledge in another way.
Applying for prior learning
You can apply for prior learning by doing the following:
- Apply no later than the last day of registration External link. Please note! Late applications will not be considered. It is not possible to apply for an assessment of prior learning if you register late.
- Register for the program on antagning.se External link.
- Compile the application, which consists of three parts:
- Fill in the form External link. from antagning.se
- Fill in the form (at the bottom of the page) and explain what knowledge and experience you think you have that corresponds to the entry requirement for which you are applying.
- Attach certificates from studies, such as grades, course lists/transcripts, certificates of documented experience from association life, staff training or other types of experience. The documents should clearly indicate the time period and scope. You need to provide evidence of the qualifications you refer to and the assessment is based on the documents you attach and how you justify that you have the competence required to grant the qualification.
- Attach an employer's certificate with the following content:
- Duration of employment
- Scope of work (full-time or part-time)
- Work tasks
- Personal testimonials
- Signature of the employer
- You can upload the documents on antagning.se or send them by mail to the Admission Service. You can find the address on the website.
Competing for a place on a course
If there are more applicants than there are places on the course you have applied for, you compete for a place using a merit value. If you do not have a final certificate from upper secondary school or equivalent and have become qualified through prior learning, we recommend that you take the university entrance examination.